The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 AM

druski has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Exclamation Re: Line Winder Question

I use a TensionMate, It makes it easy to do yourself.

Last edited by druski; 02-23-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Line Winder Question

It's amazing the things people spend money on. A cordless drill, an old drill bit wrapped with masking tape, and an old fly line spool costs almost nothing (assuming you already have all those things), and works just as well as any other setup.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Poke Em,

That is true about the drill motor and a spare line spool. What I do is take hex head bolt that just fits through the spool center hole. Then add a nut and fasten the bolt to the spool. Now I use the drill to grip the bolt sticking through the spool. With the bolt bolted to the spool it is always ready to go.

Frank
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Take a couple of 1x2's about 18" long. Cut a V notch in both ends and a U shaped notch halfway through in the middle of each, slide the two together in the middle and you have a line winder. Taken apart, you can take it anywhere!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

If I am putting new backing on a large reel i usually take it to the shop and have it spooled. Mostly so i know how much backing in actually on the reel. Other wise I always do it by hand and I don't need no stinking drill or winder. What do you fellas do when a fish takes you into the backing? Go home and get your drill to reel him in? I fail to see the problem.........
Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Line Winder Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by druski View Post
I use a TensionMate, It makes it easy to do yourself.
The TensionMate website itself states that it is to be used for "spinner, side cast and bait cast" reels. No mention of fly fishing reels, which of course is the purpose of this Forum. Have you actually used this device for winding/re-winding fly fishing line, because of course that is much different from the other three?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Why is it important to know how much backing is on your reel? I usually fill a reel up with as much as I can get on it. Takes a couple of tries as I start out with too much and have to cut some off.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
Why is it important to know how much backing is on your reel? I usually fill a reel up with as much as I can get on it. Takes a couple of tries as I start out with too much and have to cut some off.
Because if you don't know the exact amount of backing (remember, different types vary in diameter) to go with a specific fly line and reel spool, then to avoid hit-or-miss cutting you pretty much need to use a good fly line winder like the Reel-E-Good (not the TensionMate) with a couple of extra line winder empty spools or those 'spools' that come with fly lines. You then wind your line on your empty reel spool backwards, i.e. leader end first, then tying on your uncut backing right from its container and winding it on your reel spool until the spool's filled to the level you want, remembering to leave enough room for your leader, fly, etc. & their knots to avoid 'jams' if you happen to re-wind your fly line on less efficiently & too loosely later on. You then cut the backing at that point. Here's where the extra spools come in. You need to re-wind the backing and fly line off your reel spool onto a spare line spool and then once again re-wind the line and backing onto another spare line spool so that the backing and line are in the right order to be loaded onto your now-empty fly reel spool - in other words, backward so that the backing can be attached to your fly reel spool and you can wind the backing and fly line onto the fly reel spool in the correct order. As you can see, requires a couple extra spool-type line holders that will fit on your line re-winder (or a pencil if you do it manually), but even with all the winding and rewinding, you'll save time over backing 'guestimates' that end up wasting too much cut backing and maybe still not getting the right amount of backing on.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Poke Em,

That is true about the drill motor and a spare line spool. What I do is take hex head bolt that just fits through the spool center hole. Then add a nut and fasten the bolt to the spool. Now I use the drill to grip the bolt sticking through the spool. With the bolt bolted to the spool it is always ready to go.

Frank
As long as we're on the subject...
When it's time to take the mono off my spin reels, I put a nut through the center of a water/soda bottle, chuck the nut in the drill, set the reel spool in a box and wind the line on to the soda bottle, the toss the bottle and old line into the recycle bin.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey