The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM

soyavenger is on a distinguished road
Default another newbie with some questions

hello all,

im new to the forum and fly fishing in general, an i have a few questions.

i moved from north east florida from central oregon about a year ago. in florida, id either fish for largemouth bass and bream in freshwater, or redfish and sheepshead in saltwater. im used to spincast and baitcast reels, but most of the fishing around here is fly fishing, i believe for some form of trout and steelhead, and im gonna give that a try. i got a $50 rod and reel combo from cabelas and im just trying to figure out how to use it.

one question, it came pre spooled, and theres about 8' of leader on it, is that right? i thought it was more like 2' or 3'.

also, the leader is kind of barrel knotted to the end of the fly line, it seems like it could slide off, isnt there usually some kind of metal tippet thats inserted into the fly line?

any help would be greatly appreciated, or if you know of a "fly fishing for dummies" website, that would be great as well.

im going to review the youtube casting tutorials and practice in the back yard...

thanks,
jack
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: another newbie with some questions

learning on that rod will take alot of practice. head out to a school yard and start wipping it around with a hook with the hook bent to the shank so you wont hookyourself and tye on a peice of somthing brights so you can see it.

that know is no doubt a needle/ nail knot. dont worry about it. it is extremly tough.

8-9 feet of leader is normal.

there are metal peices you can put in the end of the flyline to tie the leader to, but soon as you get somthing big it will pull out. mainly only good for panfish.

search youtube for flyfishing knots and techniques. I learned a great deal watching those.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.I think you could buy some braided loops so that you can change your leader easily. 8ft is rather short,you could make a loop at the tip of your leader and add a tippet using the method described by Frank here: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...9466#post49466
and follow lifesaflyin advice...but asking someone to coach you would be a good idea too.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

soy,

I started out just like you...I found some videos these videos on youtube and watched them several times and practiced out in my back yard.

Gary Borger series

Fly Fishing lessons, these are really helpful for learning how to tie knots and basic flies that you will use.

I live in Oregon too, there are several lakes, ponds and some small streams that have catfish, bass, and panfish. What part of Oregon are you in?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Soyavenger-
Welcome to the forum- and to fly fishing. You'll have a blast out there with a fly rod. What "weight" fly rod do you have- it should be written on the blank above the grip and will tell you the line weight it's designed to cast.

I think you'll find a ton of helpful info here by browsing the some of the threads in the forum here as well as in the FAQ section.

But it sounds like you're off to a good start with the 8' tapered leader "nail knotted" to the end of your fly line as lifesaflyin said. You'll notice it goes from thicker at the fly line to thinner. It's designed to lay out the fly at the end of the cast, so it doesn't end in a heap at the end of your fly line.

Normally you'd add about 2' of "tippet" to the end of the leader with a double surgeons knot, and then tie on a fly with an "improved clinch" knot.

Do you have a fly shop nearby? In many cases they have beginners clinics or offer casting lessons that are inexpensive. They could also point you to local fly fishing clubs like a Trout Unlimited Chapter that would be a great way to get some help and meet some new fishing buddies. Local fly shops are also great resources for fishing tips on the local waters.

Let us know where you are in Central Oregon-- we have folks from all over the place that might be able to give you some suggestions on where to go, good fly shops to check out etc.

Keep asking questions as you get into it, I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here.

mark
Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 PM

the rod and reel are cabelas cahill series, the rod is an 8'6" 5wt and the reel has 4/5/6 printed on it

im in bend, oregon, theres a number of small shops as well as an orvis, i looked into lessons at orvis, theyre like $400 dollars for a two day course, and i cant really swing that. i may go to the smaller shops today to get flies, and maybe pick the shop owners brains.

the leader seems really light, like 4lb test or lighter, is this usual? i guess ill have to use a lil finesse, unlike cranking in gafftopsail cats with the baitcaster

thanks for all the help, im sure ill need more in the future...
Old 09-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

A 5 weight sounds perfect for the trout fishing out there, so it looks like you're all set.

And yup, that leader sounds about right-- remember with the size flies you'll be using you'll want to be able to fit the leader or tippet through the eye-- you also want a light flexible leader and tippet so the fly drifts along naturally. Generally the larger the fly the thicker the tippet, smaller flies lighter tippets.

You'll use a bit of finesse and let the fish take some line pulling against the reel's drag or through your fingers until he/she is ready to come in and say hello

And yeah, four hundred is a bit steep. Typically casting lessons go for around 30 bucks an hour-- and smaller shops are more likely just offer to take you out back for a few pointers. Even if you had to pay for it, an hour lesson might be well worth it just to get you going.

Definetly consider checking out the Central Oregon Fly Fishers based in Bend. It would be a great way to kick off your fly fishing career, you'll learn a ton and I'm sure you could get someone to show you some of the basics in fact they probably have regular clinics for beginners. They also have group trips to local waters. You can find them here:
www.coflyfishers.org

A good way to practice on your own, preferably after getting some hands on help in person if you're on a lawn or whatever, is to just tie a piece of yarn to the end of your leader. Oh.... and that loud snapping sound you'll hear.... it means you're not waiting long enough for your back cast to straighten out behind you before you start the forward cast. It's sort of a right of passage- we've all gone through it and you're bound to hear it sooner or later.

mark
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I might add-- with regards to the casting-- practice at least 15 min. a day (I read somewhere that more than 30 min. or so, and you might just be wearing yourself out and , possibly, training yourself bad habits... Don't know the merit of this)

--This part was easy for me (we have a very pronounced winter and my first fly rod was a christmas gift from my bro.) Resist the temptation to get out on the water quickly-- too many distractions-- practice for at least 2 weeks-- a whole month would be better.

Just a fair warning-- you'll become an excellent fly caster-- but you will never stop learning.

Another fair warning-- As of now, there is no known cure nor no known vaccine for philoflyfishinfluenza (the love of fly fishing bug)-- many a men have succumbed to this incurable illness-- once contracted- Oh boy......
Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Oh.... and that loud snapping sound you'll hear.... it means you're not waiting long enough for your back cast to straighten out behind you before you start the forward cast.
mark
lol, ya, i did notice a whip-cracking sound sometimes, and the fly line just piled up at the end of the cast, ive noticed if i actually look back at the back cast, i get a better cast. i imagine once i get the hang of it, i wont need to do this

philoflyfishinfluenza doesnt sound like something i want to get a shot for, hopefully itll drive me to perfect my technique

i did go and get some flys from one of the local shops, the owner knew what would be good in the dechutes river that flows thru these parts, so ill give those a try, but man, these hooks are hard to see with the naked eye, forcips or needle nose pliers will be a must

i dont mean to stop bringin it, but thanks much for the help!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Soyavenger,
First of all, welcome to the forum and this addiction that we call fly fishing. You have gotten good pieces of advice from the other members, so I won't spew out anything else on the topic.

I used to go to the Bend area quite a bit when I was in the ski industry. Everytime, I kicked myself in the rear because I never brought my tackle with me. You are in a beautiful region, so enjoy it.

MP