The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 12:45 PM

jerrybait is on a distinguished road
Default how far???

hello all , first off i fish sitting down on a 10 ft skiff to cast & fish tossing a rio 8wt short line and a #2 clouser with a tfo axiom and only getting 40 to 50 ft when i try harder for longer casts everything falls apart ...am i doing ok ??sitting down seems to be tougher to cast..but the fish don?t seem to mind...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how far???

How's your timing? Does your backcast hit the water. If so maybe you need to speed up your timing. Then again if you are not letting your line straighten out on the backcast everything will fall apart. Not to state the obvious but why not just paddle closer?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Jerry,

I just posed a question in the fly cast forum-- you might have better luck with answers over there. (3 or 4 or 5 down from this one.)

My .02-- 40 or 50 ft. is a damned good cast-- I was contacting the rod tip with a heavier fly on my back cast (this has nothing to do with your question...)-- got good advice-- I'm now perfecting double hauls. That might help your situation-- already noticing more distance when double hauling.

//edit Also-- what does "everything falls apart" mean? //
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Try to double haul and lengthen your stroke. I still consider myself a beginner, but I've done a fair amount of practicing and reading on the subject.

I've seen many different ways that people get good, long casts. Although I didn't have time to really analyze it, Jim Teeny has a strange cast stroke, but it works as he cast easily 60ft or more on a pond. His delivery is different from the classic style of casting.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Sorry, but I must respectfully add my two cents. When casting a clouser or any weighted fly if we wait for the fly line to unroll the line will snap like a rubber band, add slack to the line and cause the cast to collapse.

Jim Gunderson, a winner of several long-distance casting competitions confirmned that, even with a light fly, he begins his forward cast before his back cast unrolls.

The heavier the fly the earlier I begin my next cast. Because my back cast lacks the power of my forward cast, I begin my back cast even earlier; in other words, less of my line unrolls on my forward false cast.

Randy
Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Randy is absolutely correct. If you wait for your line to complete unroll the fly will start to fall. You need a slight "J" on the end of the cast when you start you next stroke. You also lose all line speed if you wait for the fly to fully extend. The bigger, heavier flies magnify the need to not let the fly line fully extend before your start the next stroke. This is the reason that a smooth, slow to start acceleration gives the best result.
Gold Star for Randy.

Frank
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 AM

jerrybait is on a distinguished road

ok i fish large stretches of kelp on catalina is. in so cal most of the time my 40 + cast are fine sometimes i toss up and down the kelp to cover more area...and + would work even better than " just paddle" glad to see i?m in the ball park with my casting..but i will keep trying to improve (isn?t that whats it about??) clousers and #2 cowens baitfish are harder to cast by far but calico bass LOVE the cowens baitfish ...... i can single haul fine it does help ...but the double haul needs alot of work.... more help or suggestions???
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Rio Outbound Short is an integrated shooting head line. The head length is 30 feet. When casting it, you should only have the head plus two to five feet of running line off your tip. Any more line is harder to control.

MP
Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jerrybait,

Wow that sounds like some great fishing.

I learned to double haul sitting in a chair. The Mel Krieger Essence of Casting has a segment on learning the double haul. When he taught his students he had them lay down their rods. He mimicked the casting stroke like he was holding a rod. Then he added his Down-Up movement with his line hand. With just a few minutes of practice the Down-Up movement in conjunction with his rod hand moving through a stroke, all the students had it down, and so did I.

Lefty Kreh also has a method of teaching his students. He cast the fly line out in from of him on the lawn. Then making a very low side arm back cast with the tip a couple of feet off the ground and letting the line fall on the grass behind him. Then repeat from off the grass in back he makes the low cast back in front. This slows the action down and he then has the student make a haul in conjunction with the low cast. The method allows the student to pause between strokes and get the timing of the haul coordinated with the single stroke. Once you get everything coordinated at this slow pace you can then do a normal cast and speed up the haul to match the pace of the stroke.

Frank
Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

No insult intended when I asked if you could paddle closer. I just was thinking of my type of fishing where I sneak up with the canoe & shortcast.