The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wet Flies

I like to fish some of the old & new wet fly patterns & I was wondering how many other wet fly fisher people are on the site. Do you use droppers & if so how many flies & how do you rig up? What kind of sequence do you like to use etc? If there's enough of us maybe we can get a swap going.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:49 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet Flies

I think you'll find that there are quite a few members of this forum who fish wet flies.

We had a wet fly/soft hackle swap last year at just about this time and it went very well. One of the members of this forum, Greenwood (although he's been quiet for some time now; not sure why ), is a real soft hackle afficionardo and ties up some very interesting and effective patterns.

I fished with an outfitter from Central Pennsylvania earlier in the season and they put me onto fishing a brace of 3 wets; two droppers ahead of the point fly, fished off an intermediate sinking-tip line (1-2 ips sink rate) in fast water. It's a very effective technique; you get a lot of information quickly (what the fish are biting on) and, more importantly, you get a lot of fish! I buy leaders from them and I like the way that they make them up; all of the droppers are loop-to-loop connections and that makes it quick and easy to change flies; which is sometimes the best way to get into more fish.

Here's their website if you're interested in more information on how they fish wets:

http://www.wetflywaterguides.com/

I think that you'd find a good amout of interest in a wet fly swap; check with Peregrines and give it a try.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up fishing a cast of wets. It's the way my grandfather fished and the way I learned
At the time we used 9' cane rods with three flies on a long leader attached with dropper loops.
There's wasn't a lot of fly changing, we used the same ones most of the time.
One fly I'm sure of was the the black gnat and another was either a hare's ear or a dark cahill.... I don't remember the third .. a light cahill maybe
Flies were spaced so that the point fly would drift on the bottom, the first dropper drifted in the water column, and the second dropper was manipulated to 'dance' on the surface.
It's a deadly tactic.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I frequently fish wets, though not especially traditional ones. My favorite is a soft hackled version of LaFontaine's Diving Caddis.

My standard trout rigging is a soft hackle dropper with a weighted nymph on point.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Years ago I was fishing a landlocked salmon river in Maine & was doing OK on streamers & I came down to a guy who I thought was nymphing. He was catching one on every 3-4th cast. I got out of the river to walk past him & we got to talking & he showed me what he was using. He had a string of 3 wets on & was jiggling them on the swing. I watched him pick up a few more fish & he told me about his fly choices & gave me a few wets to try. Up until that time I had been fishing them upside down with the wet or emerger pattern on the bottom figuring that was the way to do it. When I reversed & put the weighted fly on the bottom it made a heck of a difference. After that day I always have a box of wets with me & they are a productive way to fish. I still nymph most of the time when fishing for trout or salmon but I now throw in a brace of wets or add one to my nymphing rig when the action is slow. It seems to me that for some reason wets are a negleted way to fish. With all the new materials available you can make up some killer patterns & not just softhackles or speys. I like to tie & fish some of the old classics & do you know what?? They still work...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I fish wets quite a bit. There is something to be said about the take when the fly is being swung on a tight line.

Here's a fly that I use quite a bit. It's called a Partridge and CDC Caddis.

Click the image to open in full size.

I also enjoy stripping in wet flies when I am stillwater fishing.

In regards to using two wet flies, I don't. However, I will use a wet fly as a trailer to a bugger when stillwater fishing.

MP

Recipe for the Partridge and CDC Caddis
Hook: TMC 2457 10 to 14
Thread: 6/0 Uni-Thread - tan, olive, brown (this makes the color of the body)
Body: Wapsi Stretch Tubing - clear, extra small
Thorax (optional): Ice Dub - color to match body (I like the UV colored ones)
Underwing: CDC - natural dun
Outerwing: Hungarian Partridge - natural

Please note that the fly pictured above does not have the Ice Dub Thorax. I have not noticed any increase of hookups with the thorax, but the fly looks better with it. I tie all of these flies now with the thorax.

MP
Old 09-27-2009, 02:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I fish wets quite a bit. There is something to be said about the take when the fly is being swung on a tight line.
I fish wets quite a bit myself. Because of the way I was taught as a kid, I fish them more often than drys or nymphs
I've learned that when a fish takes at the end of a swing in fast water, you most often need to use a "slip strike" to set the hook.
I've found over the years that many experienced anglers have no idea what a "slip strike'' is, many mistaking it for a "strip strike".

What you need to do is when the strike comes is lift the rod tip while letting the line slip through your rod hand finger that pinches the line on the grip.
This will solidly set the hook while still protecting the tippet.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:36 PM

My version of the slip strike is I keep about a 6" loop between my index finger & thumb & I release it when I raise the rod. I do it when I'm just hanging a streamer or emerger downstream also.
Lately I've been making & using mono furled leaders & they have enough stretch to protect the tippet so I don't have a problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Fishn,

When I was younger and living in Pennsylvania I became more of a wet fly fisherman than dry. It seemed that in the spring and fall you were doing way too much casting and not enough catching when using dry flies.

I started with loops and snelled wets and about 1980 learned to tie a leader with the extended blood knot tag. I'll guess that you and many of the membership know what this setup is. Usually I used a #12 dark cahill either at the top or bottom and placed a light cahill and an attractor like a Parmachene Bell or Montreal, or Brook Finn on the leader just for fun. I never caught a single brown trout on the attractors. The wild brook trout were another story. They took everything.

The most effective trio was two Hares Ears' and a fly dubbed of red fox belly fur with a silver rib. No wings, nothing fancy but they caught lots of fish.

Here all I fish are wets. Big wets, Sculpins, and feather wing streamers. Like Mosca said, the take is good. It reminds you of fishing spinning lures when you were a kid. The line is tight and then, wham! Anyway, yeah, I fish wet flies. Here it is always a single fly, no trios.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

"Lisernrings lift" was, I believe, done high sticked with a soft hackle on the swing. I have borrowed it, in a way.
I will purpously stop my bobbers drift and "lift" my soft hackle towards the surface.
I'll bet 30% of my clients fish last season were at the end of the drift.
The leader is rigged with maybe two AB split shot, a large attractor pattern
(nymph, cray,etc.) somewhat weighted, another smaller nymph, and a very small bead head soft hackle dropper below that .....
I recommend 4x flouro for the bottom fly, tied with a loop knot. Noodle it a few seconds after the end of the drift too!

Bigfly