The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 09:55 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Do Trailer Hooks Cause a Higher Mortality Rate?

Something to think about:

http://www.flyfishergirl.com/

Randy
Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Do Trailer Hooks Cause a Higher Mortality Rate?

I realize that i kill fish on occasion. In fact I killed a little guy yesterday after he inhaled a wooly bugger, there was absolutely no reviving him. I kept the fish so it wouldnt go to waste.

I am not going to get rid of my trailing hooks, because they work, especially on the rear biting browns. I may end up having a slightly higher mortality rate, but i won't lose any sleep over it.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am dead set against trailer hooks and have said so a number of times on this forum. I hate them with a passion. I will NEVER use one. If you are worried about rear biting browns just wear thicker waders. Lord I apologize for that.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 AM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

Well, it looks like this one will be an interesting thread. Seems like there are opinions!! I'll start out by saying that I don't know the answer to the question. I also have not seen any research on the subject, I suppose that's because I haven't looked for any.

I tie and use only one fly with a trailer hook. I guess that's because the one I was shown had a trailer. We (my fishing buddy and I) use it fishing For big Rainbows in the 30 to 50 ft deep holes on the Columbia River. I don't have any hard figures, but it seems as though we catch more fish on the main hook than on the trailer, but we do catch a lot of them on the trailer. The limit on this river is 2 trout, so in a days fishing we release a lot of fish. I think the release is critical to the fish's survival. I can only remember a few times when the trailer was too deep to remove and I had to cut it off. I had one where the fish was hooked in the corner of the mouth and the trailer was out the side of the gills. I cut that trailer off too. These fish are much more valuable than the fly!! By the way...we keep these fish in the water while removing hooks and make sure they've recovered from the fighting they've done and can swim off on their own.

I would bet that more fish are killed by inattentive fishermen who let the fish take the fly deep and then destroy the fish trying to get their fly back. It doesn't matter if it's a trailer hook or not. I think poor handling during the release is the problem, not the hooks.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but I wanted to explain WHY I'm thinking the release is the problem rather than the hooks. I hope we get more responses here. I think this is an interesting subject to explore.

Bob
Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I have never used a trailer hook for Trout or Steelhead and as far as I am concerned they could be banned. Usually if a fish is striking short then a slowed presentation will solved the problem. If I miss a few fish because I don't use a trailer hook, so be it. To me it is about the Fishing, the location and being on the water. Catching is just the frosting on the cake.

Frank
Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

<never mind>
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho fisherman View Post
I would bet that more fish are killed by inattentive fishermen who let the fish take the fly deep and then destroy the fish trying to get their fly back. It doesn't matter if it's a trailer hook or not. I think poor handling during the release is the problem, not the hooks.

Bob
I'll have to agree bad handling is ONE of the problems. I watched four guys in a boat catch a Northern Pike in 37-38" range. We have a protected slot from 30 to 40" which must be immediately released. All four of these guys took pictures holding the fish. 4 or 5 poses each. It was dropped at least three times. It wasn't released till I yelled at them that, "I could have painted an oil painting of it by now, get it back in the water!" As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid." Bad handling causes more fish mortality than probably any other factor.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

No doubt in my mind Handling is a big problem. I try to do any photos of fish still in the water, lots of people want to "prove" they can catch a fish so the Kodak moment is important. A water proof camera is great because the fish stay in an unpaniced state.
How hard would you struggle if I held you under water?
I don't know if trailer hooks cause any more fatalities than just one hook, but it does seem to be lowering the bar on the "challenge".
Strip sets are a great way to catch those tail biters.

Bigfly