The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 08:21 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough
Default what to get to start

i went fly fishin with my friend. i had been interested but now im gunna start. what is the best stuff, on a budget, for me to get to start? thanks alot

BTW this is my first post. did i do it all right?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to get to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba007 View Post
i went fly fishin with my friend. i had been interested but now im gunna start. what is the best stuff, on a budget, for me to get to start? thanks alot

BTW this is my first post. did i do it all right?
Kimba, for your first post, you did ok. But there are pieces of information that we are missing.
  1. What kind of fish do you intend to use this rod for?
  2. What kinds of bodies of water do plan on fishing?
  3. What region of the world do you live in? If it is the good old USA, be specific.

You can get prepackaged price point combinations between $100 and $300 from any of the major players in the industry (Redington, Ross Worldwide, TFO, Sage, St. Croix). If you have a local outfitter handy, visit the shop to see what's available. If you fish a lot, you may outgrow the performance of these rigs. Think about it this way. You'll have a backup to your new and improved rig.

Other than your rig, you can get by with the following accessories.
  • Fly box and flies
  • Leaders and tippets
  • Nippers - you can use an old fingernail clipper if you have to
  • Hemostats
  • Dry fly floatant
  • Indicators
  • Split shot or putty weight

All these items can fit into your pockets. There are other accessories that you can get later on.

Welcome to the sport.

MP
Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM

soyavenger is on a distinguished road

im almost a beginner, as well, i found a 4-piece rod, reel, and line combo for $50 at cabelas. im sure you get what you pay for, but thisll keep me busy for now. they have what seems to be good prices on flies and some other gear, if youre payin the shipping anyways...
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

depends what u want to spend. get a cabelas three fork combo for 80 bux. its comes with everything u need to get started and looks great. my cousins ahve it and it works great. comes with line, backing, rod, and reel. if u wanna spend more check out www.flyshopcloseouts.com got me a tfo professional there for $150 free ship and came with a orvis reel rio line and backing. both cast great and both work great. I recomend both. also check out ebay too cause sometimes they got great deals also!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:25 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I think the most important thing that you can get from this group of folks, is a fairly reasonable list of items.
You also need to come up with a budget as well.
Most fly shops are pretty good, but there are always a few emplyees who feel the need to sell you alot more than what you actually need.
If you go in with a list of items and a budget, it will help you get moving in the right direction. Even if money is not an object, I recommend a budget figure, you can always adjust it a bit if needs be.
Take a friend with you, most of us hang with people who are in the same income bracket and it will help you feel a bit more secure in undefined territory.
Keep in mind you can always add to your stuff as you go, so do not feel pressed to buy everything all at once. Hopefully there is a shop near you that will let you try a rod before you buy one.
Good luck and have a good time shopping! Show us what you got for yourself later if you are up for it......Kerry
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Good advice from everyone...If you have a shop near you, see if you can cast the rods that are in your price range; you will find one that feels better then the others. As for the other essentials, buy only what you need... A neck lanyard to carry forceps, clippers, and a couple of spools of tippet material are all that you really need; along with a box for your flies. Flies will be another matter if you don't tye, they will be pricey. For waders check out garage sales, you may find a pair that will work well and will serve you until you decide to buy some new ones.

Dan
Old 09-29-2009, 12:06 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

i bought the cabelas three fork combo that mcfly mentioned above and i love it.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Of course as repayment for all of this excellent advice, you will need to post a few pictures of fish etc.
I think you made a wise choice on your rod setup. I hope you enjoy many years of fishing.....Kerry
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough

i do live in the US, maryland and i plan on using this for stream and river trout sunfish ect. im lookin at a small budget, like 50-100 for mostly everything. im prob gunna go to my friends and tie a bunch of flies there rather than buyin a kit immeadiatly. If i buy a kit w/out line on it, i dont understand how it is setup, I thought it was just the plastic fly line then some reg fishin line at the end? could you help me out, id appreciate it. Also ive seen cheap 10-12 dollar fly boxes like @ walmart, r they any good quality?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

try this place for boxes...they are priced really good.
http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/index.htm

I also bought a 3/4 weight from http://www.troutlet.com/Fly-Fishing-Combos-C10.aspx it included line, leader and tippet. Some of the combos even include nippers, flies or other items to get you started.