The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM

bloodmeridian is on a distinguished road
Default Take your GPS on guided trips?

I'm curious to what everyone here thinks...Is it "OK" to bring your GPS on guided fishing trips? We asked 100 random readers that and interestingly, 41%answered “Hell yeah!” while 40% answered “Hell no!” The remaining 19% had no idea guides might care...
Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Take your GPS on guided trips?

Well, my thought: if you're getting rowed down a river, the GPS is a little silly. Unless you can't remember where to put in and take out. And you should wonder if you should even be fishing if you need a GPS to tell you what was good water and what wasn't.

I would say the very height of tackiness would be, say, you paid a guide to take you way in to some remote secret honeyhole of a fishing spot, and at every turn in the road, you were pounding in waypoints on yer little machine.
The effort expended in what may have taken years of work and experience to find/explore/navigate deserves a little more respect than yet another dose of instant gratification/greed by those that only "pay their dues" with dollars. (hey, that's a great phrase! don't anybody steal it!)

I once donated a day of grouse hunting over my dogs and in my private land coverts. Dentist bought the trip. Had a good day. Next week he was parked in my "spot", hunting the covert I had worked hard to get permission to hunt. Never asked me or landowner. It took every thing I had not to at least give him a flat tire or two. And he didn't even have a GPS.

They call me "analog man" around here,
Gary
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why a poll is needed to ascertain whether it is ok to GPS, when all you have to do is ask the guide and honor his request.

Unless the poll was about secretly taking GPS recordings and if that's the case I wouldn't want to be a part of any group that could even consider asking that question.

Dave
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

What Dave said. Obviously more simply and to the point than I did.
Gary
Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Dave said! Right on!

Larry

Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM

bloodmeridian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I don't understand why a poll is needed to ascertain whether it is ok to GPS, when all you have to do is ask the guide and honor his request.

Unless the poll was about secretly taking GPS recordings and if that's the case I wouldn't want to be a part of any group that could even consider asking that question.

Dave
It was simply a poll out of curiosity, Dave. Surely, you too occasionally wonder about things? I assumed this forum was a learning environment. Many people, the poll showed, didn’t realize that guides would be upset by a client bringing GPS. And that Dave, so that you understand, is why we asked the question.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm sure that Dave meant no offense with his comments and you are correct, this is a good learning forum. However there are always points that will elicit some rather passionate replies. It looks like this one hit a nerve

Me, I have no opinion, at least not one I'll put to the open board. I don't hire guides and I use an old Gamin ETrex Vista to keep track of my speed and travel time on the rivers for the sake of noting fuel consumption an important issue in Bush travel. I have saved a few way points out on the big swamp in case I have to cross in a blizzard so I know which direction to go in a whiteout. I also keep a laminated index card with declinated degrees of travel for those pesky times when the batteries die. I'm a Sunto Ranger type at heart.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmeridian View Post
It was simply a poll out of curiosity, Dave. Surely, you too occasionally wonder about things? I assumed this forum was a learning environment. Many people, the poll showed, didn’t realize that guides would be upset by a client bringing GPS. And that Dave, so that you understand, is why we asked the question.
My response was not meant as a personal response toward you bloodmeridan and I apologize for giving you that impression.

Words obviously have meaning and as your comment was originally written (and apparently mine) and understood by myself and other members also, it did lend itself to suspect interpretation.

Dave
Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

I would be annoyed if someone I was with on the rivers in Montana pulled out a GPS. I'd probably say so and let the chips fall where they may.

I also tend to glare at people who pull there cell phones out to pointlessly yak while in the boat.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I would consider a GPS, or any electronic device bad form. milt.