The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 PM

jrwasko is on a distinguished road
Talking 2011 Equipment For A Beginner

June of 2012 I will be moving permanently to Taos and am getting equipped for fly fishing.

I will primarily trout fish in the western US in the Taos area. I do know a 5 weight rod about 9 feet in length is the right size. It is how much to spend that is the big question.

I want a set up that will be:
1) Easy for me to learn with and build my skills.
2) Last a lifetime, I am 45 so all down hill from here. I am willing to spend more for something that will grow with me.
3) Low maintenance.

With the Orvis store so close to where I am living now I am leaning toward buying there since I will have top notch support nearby. On the other hand with me moving that support is only temporary.

Orvis
Rod - either the Hydros or Helios
Reel - either the Battenkill Large Arbour or Mirage

Elsewhere
Rod - Sage Z-Axis
Reel - Ross Evolution LT

As you can tell I am willing to spend more for something that will last but I do not want to spend it on top of the line equipment if there is less expensive equipment that will yield the same or better results. I do have a budget but I want to be happy with what I purchase for a long time no matter the price.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2011 Equipment For A Beginner

i am not a orvis fan just personal problem i have. go to a fly shop that sell more than one line . you might like something total different than what you thought ,all rods are good these days.test cast a few different brands and action before you buy.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

Hey, awesome thread, it basically allows us to hypothetically dream shop.

With that being said, do you have any gear right now? If so what.

And what types of fish will you be fishing for. What types of water will you be fishing *rivers, streams, lakes, etc*

What type of fishing will you be doing most of *dry fly, wet fly, streamer, nymph*
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Go to Cabelas, get a three forks/pflueger medalist combo in a 6 weight. Take the $1000 i just saved you and invest in roughly 15 casting lessons.

You will be far ahead of buying what orvis tells you high end gear is and you will be able to decide for yourself what the best option is.

I wish i would have done this when i started.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Second what db cooper says with the exception of spending the extra grand on casting lessons-- send it to me instead....

My .02-- don't discount other 'retailers' over Orvis-- as you said: the top notch service is only temporary.... While Orvis is really, REALLY nice gear, there are other really nice gear options-- Likely at a price point that is more..... 'agreeable'-- and the service is comparable-- (TFO rods immediately comes to mind....)

OTOH, I don't think anyone can say a bad thing about Orvis....
Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Since you will be moving permanently next year I'm guessing you will visit the Taos area between now and then? If so, why not find a shop in the Taos area that will provide you long term support and buy from them.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM

jrwasko is on a distinguished road

I will be primarily trout fishing. I would say a 50/50 split between reiver and stream. The Rio Grande is walking distance from the soon to be cabin home so will do that quite a bit. But also there is plenty of good stream fishing a short drive away so see that happening quite often too. Lake fishing, maybe but not likely.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Okay as I suspected it sound like I do not have to spend a fortune to have an outfit that will meet my needs.

One other rod I have been strongly considering is the Sage Vantage line. The reviews say a great beginner pole and Sage seems like a great company that stands behind it's products.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:30 PM

alcorn is on a distinguished road

Nice thread. Iteresting concept. I'm gonna make a recommendation of going to more than one fly shop. You want to go to a place where you can try out all the different rods you want. Ok so you want a 5wt. Personally I'd go witha 6wt. You can handle bigger fish. What I would do is go a fly shop and cast as many rods as you can. You're going to want to concentrate mainly on feel. How does the rod load? How does it shoot? How does it flex? How does it haul? Does it look right? Does it feel right? and once you've narrowed it down you make a purchase. Personally I wouldn't recommend any of the higher end Orvis rods or Sage rods to any beginner because most people don't have the tools yet to make these rods do what they can do. And to be honest they can be a pain to cast if you don't know what you're doin. I'll second the guy who said take a look at the the sage vantage. I have a friend who started with one in a 7 wt and he's done pretty well with his. Thats the other thing. I would definately not start with a 5wt. Pick 6 or even a 7 wt. you'll be happy you did. Redington makes the classic trout. They're a good rod. You may find out what fly shops are around you and then purchase from one of them. They'll know what type of equipment you'll be needing and what techniques you'll be using. Plus if you have a rod break a good shop will send it back for you and take care of you while your rod is getting fixed. Personally I'm a sage guy though and you can't go wrong with the vantage.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jrwasko,

I am going to suggest some fly rods that will be lower priced but still are rods you will like and use for a long time. In my opinion the lowest priced rods from Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's are not a good choice. You can learn with them for sure but you will end up replacing them eventually.

Being brand new even going to a fly shop doesn't help too much because you can't cast yet. If you can find a shop that gives free casting lessons then do that before you buy a rod. Another alternative is to hire a guide for a days fishing and use his gear. The right guide will help with your casting and have different rods you can try.

My list of rods to consider.

1. Sage Flight, $300

2. St Croix Avid, $200

3. Redington Custom Trout, $150

4. For a Combo the Redington RS4 combo is a great buy that includes the rod, Rise reel, Rio fly line and a leader, $329

To me the Flight is the best all around choice in these four choices. The Avid and Classic Trout are both Medium action rods that some fly fishers like. The RS4 and Sage Flight are Medium Fast to Fast actions.

I have fished in the Taos area and you will be well equipped with a 9' 5wt since Trout is your primary target.

Frank
Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM

flybillinma is on a distinguished road

Gotta get your hands on a copy of The 24 Greatest Flies... a new book that helps with fly selection, but it's also really handy for beginners as it goes into a lot of detail about "where to find fish" and "how to properly use the flies". I picked up a copy of Bob Sousa's book last fall. His list of 24 greatest flies has all the usual suspects -- they're all must have flies for every fly fisher. Loads of useful info for beginners. Many happy catches! (and releases).