The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Salmon outing 09

Hey all just wanted to report about my salmon trip last weekend.

We arrived about 11:30 am friday and got situated and met up with some friends and hit the river around 3pm.( For you all who never fished the PM river its not very wide at all maybe 30-40ft average where we were, and super clear.) It didnt take long to get a couple of hook ups but nothing landed, alot of trees and logs so break off I guess are common. Got back to the river at 5:30 am and got another few big hook ups with a couple exploding from the water. Fought a few for about 10 min and almost to the net but broke or spit the hook. Hooking a salmon is like hooking a bumper of a passing car....LOL, but my Tfo 9wt/lamson reel held up to the test with no problems. The only fish that was landed was a 14inch brown caught by one of my buddies. Being a seasoned steelhead fisherman, I thought salmon fishing wouldnt be to bad, but was I humbled, its a whole new ball game. Well cant wait till next year to try again, but heres some pics of my dad and buddies fishing.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Salmon outing 09

Kruggy,

What pound test leader were you using and what fly pattern? How far from the lake were yo?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

kruggy1: Hope you had a great time anyway (nothing like fishing with friends), from the looks of your photos that river looks great, but as you say is littered with trees/branches.

Larry
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Good read on the trip. What kind of technique were you using. Were you dead drifting or swinging?

MP
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Glad you had a good time Kruggy...Were you down by the Claybanks area or up in the Flies Only water?

Dan
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone, it was definetly fun!!!

Hardy, we made made our own leaders the butt section was 35 to 25lbs leader line, barrel swivel and a 10lb tippet. The patterns that worked best was egg sucking leeches and bunny leaches. Im not sure how far we were from the lake buddy.

moscapescador, Cuck in duck is mainly used for salmon, I personally used shooting line and sink tips, and also floating line with heavy flies nymphing.

HuronRiverDan, we just fished the fly section only zone, like to try clay banks sometime.

My buddy got a 2min video of me fighting a salmon I will have to post it when I get it.