The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 04:45 PM

charlie143 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing Knots

Riptide,

That is very interesting. Thank you for your wise advice. I will try out those flies on the dropper and the point and hope for some good fishing.

Whereabouts do you fish at your local area? I am based in the UK but would be keen to fish in USA. Do I require a fishing licence to fish in the states or do you just buy a day permit at locations where one wants to fish?

Thanks again for your advice.

Charlie
Old 03-13-2011, 04:51 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

My knots are pretty simple-

clinch knot from tippet to fly- 5-8 turns-ish. It has worked for thousands of fish from trout to tarpon to stripers, salmon, steelhead and one pissed off bullfrog on an Iowa spring creek.

I tie my own leaders and use blood knots for the sections, perfection loop for leader to fly line loop and a figure eight knot from leader to tippet loop. The figure eight knot is actually a knot used in mountain climbing and I have adapted it's use on small tippets (less than 4X). Personally I find it a stronger knot on small tippets than a perfection loop.

Nail knot for backing to fly line and fly line to heavy mono end loop. Tip I used to teach in my classes and to clients- Use an un-flaired fly tying bobbin as your nail knot tool- it is fantastic as the diameter is perfect.

Dropper flies- I tie a length of mono with a clinch knot directly to the bend in the hook shank of the first fly.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

I use the albright for my backing to reel, also for my fly line to my backing, needle knot for a heavy mono loop connection to fly line(when it doesn't have a welded loop connection), perfection loop for fly line or heavy mono loop connection to leader, blood knot or double surgeons or back to back uni knots for leaders to tippet depending on application, and finally clinch or strangely enough perfection loops again for tippet to fly.

Not to hijack but does anyone elso just use the perfection loop for fly attachment? I rarely get break offs but never see anyone else do it... seems strong and gives good presentations

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie143 View Post
Riptide,
I will try out those flies on the dropper and the point and hope for some good fishing.

Whereabouts do you fish at your local area? I am based in the UK but would be keen to fish in USA. Do I require a fishing licence to fish in the states or do you just buy a day permit at locations where one wants to fish?

Charlie
Lest you get the wrong impression, those flies are what we used 45-50 years ago and were "old school" then.
Not that they wouldn't work, but they're practically unknown nowadaze.

Each individual state requires a license, but most offer some variation of short term. There can also be "trout stamps" and extra permits but those are the exception.

I fish the streams close to home and around New England for trout, but these days you're more likely to find me wading the saltwater shore
I run into guys from the UK every spring that come over just for the striper fishing.
Our striped bass are similar to your sea bass, only bigger
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough

If you wish to save yourself a lot of learning time, pick up a copy of Prosecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis. He also wrote Reading Trout Streams which is equally useful. It will save you about 20 years worth of trial and error experience.

You can buy both used from Amazon at very reasonable prices.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I use a simple arbor knot for backing to reel, a nail knot for backing to fly line and a nail knot for fly line to tapered leader (you can actually use two nail knots back to back at the backing to fly line connection for extra strength). I just switched to twisted leaders, so I started putting a loop at the end of my fly line, secured with yet another nail knot. I found a "tie-fast" tool in my dads old fishing stuff and discovered the nail knot

For tippet to leader, I use an albright knot because it's fairly quick and very secure, and I recently discovered the Davy knot for tying on flies. I used a clinch (or improved clinch for saltwater or heavier fish) for years, but this little knot literally takes a few seconds to tie and is very secure. I'll still use the clinch for bigger fish, but the Davy is perfect for trout and lighter applications, especially when changing the flies very often can be necessary.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi,

I am just starting out into the wonderful sport of Fly fishing and just wondered which knots I need to learn and where I can get instructions online or in books as to how to tie these knots.

Your comments will be most welcome. Thank you.

Regards,

Charlie143
Some other things..... If you are going to make your own leaders I recommend using regular spools of mono for the heavier sections. Stren works real well and it is way cheaper than the little spools of "leader material".

The tippet of your leader will work well two sizes less than the piece it is attached to. You can buy a 7.5 foot 3x leader and cut the tippet back a little. Make a perfection loop in the 3x end and another in the tippet you wish to attach, (4x or 5x) and make the tippet the length you desire.

Keep your leaders as short and heavy as conditions will allow. In small streams I usually use a six foot leader.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 PM

charlie143 is on a distinguished road

Goffnoff,

Thanks for your advice for the book I will check it out on amazon and get myself a copy.

Also thanks for your advice as to knots, you seem to have been very innovative with your knot selections.

Charlie

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Riptide,

I didn;t realise that those fly selections were outdated. I reckon though that if they worked well back then, then they may well be worth a go now. The old ways are always the best. The problem these days is that technology has got so advanced in respect to fishing tackle, that we have lost the connection with nature and the fish because the equipment does it all for you these days.

I am a strong believer that the old ways and making tackle as simple as possible is sometimes the best. What do you think?

Thanks again for the advice. Maybe I will see you wading the saltwater shores if I come and do some striper fishing. Sounds good. Do you get some good sized fish during the striped bass season?

Regards,

Charlie
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Fly Fishing Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
. . . I am not a fan of blood knots for connecting leader to tippet as they are tedious, and pretty weak as well. Seaguar knots are a lot faster, easier, and much stronger. . . ..
What's your factual support for blood knots being weak? Also, if you use one of the blood knot tying tools, they are not at all difficult to tie. Plus, being mainly a knot for constructing leaders and not for tying on the final tippet section, they can be mainly tied offstream.

Not familiar with the Seaguar knot. Can you provide a link showing how it's tied?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you get some good sized fish during the striped bass season?
Hopefully
My best ever on the fly, wading, was 46", estimated to be just under 40 pounds. But more realistically the best fish of the year for me is likely to be in the 20-25 pound range. The biggest of fish are normally are wise enough to know not to take a fly.
On an average day you can expect to catch fish from 18 to 28 inches from shore, but above average happens.
Thus the reason for the annual "British invasion"