The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough
Default Fly anger online

Is flyangleronline a legit site. they have raffles for rods and stuff but im kinda leery about it? anybody a member or know about it. Thanks alot
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly anger online

Very legit, kinda the original and looks about like it did way back when. The discussion board used to be governed by a crotchety old guy who ran lots of folks off, but he's not around anymore.

I basically learned how to tie through that site. There's tons of good info on there, but it hasn't really kept up with the times.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

FAOL is indeed, still on line, and is the premiere flyfishing site on line.

The crotchety old man Cliff referred to that is no longer there ? ... he died in May. He, and his wife, were, and are, close personal friends of mine.

Come check it out. See for yourself. Not kept up with the time? Hardly. It's ahead of the times.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 PM

Backcastwards will become famous soon enough

Auntie Em is right. And there is no reason to slight a website that encourages and advances the sport of fly fishing. Others, including this site, can only hope to try to copy what is still very successful and well supported. Kimba007, If you want to see the real deal I would say to check them out and pay no attention to the comment that they haven't kept up with the times. Super moderator- Baah!! Moron.
Gary
Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

FAOL is an educational site and offers soooooo much more. Worth checking out for sure, and JC is deeply missed on this end, even with our disagreeing.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I basically learned how to tie through that site. There's tons of good info on there, but it hasn't really kept up with the times.
Boy, that sure does sound like "slighting" from a "moron". I suppose I should have clarified that my "kept up with the times" referred mostly to site technology and appearance, which doesn't really seem like an unfounded accusation given that FAOL looks the same as it did 12 years ago. But yes, it may be the single most comprehensive source of fly-fishing info on the web, especially for beginners.

Sure seems silly that some folks still hold a grudge because I encouraged someone to leave this site due to his repeated ridiculously irrelevant and inappropriate posts.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

As far as the drawings for rods, etc. what difference does it make. It's free. How could anyone be leery of that?
As far as Castwell goes, his personality and mine were like vinegar and oil. But I do miss the old guy. He rubbed me the wrong way sometimes, but I'm sure I rubbed him wrong too .
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

u can find me on there! names fishaholic69 on there

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

BTW it is http://www.flyanglersonline.com/. The title,"Fly Anger" prompted me to take a peek at this post. flyangleronline takes you to a bogus looking site.

There seems to be many many wonderful fly fishing related forums/blogs out there. I am heading up to the Upper Sac soon and today found these cool sites that are location specific:
http://troutunderground.com/
http://www.shastatrout.com/
The point being, 'tis a good idea to check sites that are more localized for more focused info and advice.

I don't want to get caught in a flame war, however, BigCliff's reply seemed rather more complimentary than critical. In fact his reply prompted me to look it up. The design of the site does look rather 1999. Without BigCliff's good review, had I come across the site on my own I might have skipped over it figuring it was outdated. A redesign is certainly in order, although the animated Gifs make me warm with nostalgia.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Backcastwards will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
The discussion board used to be governed by a crotchety old guy who ran lots of folks off...

Sure seems silly that some folks still hold a grudge because I encouraged someone to leave this site due to his repeated ridiculously irrelevant and inappropriate posts.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.