The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road
Default semi-new fly tyer needs help

I dabbled with fly tying last winter(experiment with drys) elk hairs, wolly buggers, nymphs. My materials include peacock hearl, phesant feather. black saddle hackle, elk hair patch, bucktail, black maribou, and an ollive hairs ear mask. Thread i have 6/0 in olive, tan, and black. What are some good materials that would be good to buy? how can i easily and affordably increase my materials and what should those materials be? i fish in ohio and michigan mainly and fish all season. can anybody help?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: semi-new fly tyer needs help

The best thing to do is to concentrate on the flies that you actually use. That will keep you from buying materials that you will use a few times. Those materials will sit in a desk for years (trust me. I have a bunch).

If you choose to buy saddles or capes, see if the shop will sell you two different color halves as one unit. For example, olive and black Woolly Buggers are the two most popular colors. You can buy half of black saddle and half of a olive saddle. I do that for customers at the shop that I work at.

Also check out the clearance bins at your local shop. Sometimes you could find gems of fly tying materials that you could use that are heavily discounted.

MP
Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Look in your local craft stores for some of your needs, copper wire, monofilament sewing thread, glass beads...etc At the fly shop see if they have the saddle splits like he mentioned.

Dan
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'd try to make one of those saddle splits grizzley/brown. Get you a natural color hare's mask, and maybe some synthetic grey (or muskrat) dubbing. With those you have opened up a multitude of new patterns. Oh, and some poly yarn for parachutes. Do you have copper wire for ribbing some nymphs?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road

i have copper wire and french tinsle, should i bother with the low grade hackle or just sacrifice a few bucks for the better stuff?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum17 View Post
i have copper wire and french tinsle, should i bother with the low grade hackle or just sacrifice a few bucks for the better stuff?
I think you can find Metz #3 or whiting pro grade at reasonable prices.Dun,Brown and Rusty Dun might be a good choice.Some copper beads...don't take too big ones for your nymphs will be really unpleasant to cast.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum17 View Post
The difference between the difference is the amount of usable feathers. Higher grade hackle has more usable feathers.

Depending on how often you tie, it can take awhile to burn through a skin. If you want to buy the lower grade hackle, so you can have money to spend on other materials, go right ahead.

I don't tie many dry flies, so I mostly buy the Bronze grade in Whiting Farms feathers. It takes me years to go through them.

MP