The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 02:34 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default a fly for weeds/reeds?

Me and my brother were fishing out of our inflatable boat last week, and we found this area that seems to have a good number of fish (people using pickeral rigs had good luck, and i saw a good sized trout swim by), but it had tall weeds all over, it was like an underwater forest. Is there a way to make a nymph that i would not get hooked on the weeds? have some sort of cover close to the hook so i won't get caught?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a fly for weeds/reeds?

Click the image to open in full size.
here are special hooks but I'm not sure you can tie flies with them but you can fix a little bit of thick nylon near the eye of your nymph in the same way.
hope it can help
Old 09-30-2009, 03:01 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

ya something like that would work. maybe i can tie some highish test mono in a loop, something light but not too light. wish it wasn't so cold now, i really don't feel like testing and tying loops on the water when i can barely feel my fingers.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to try to adapt some bonefish type flies to match the nymphs you'd like to imitate.
Take for example the 'snapping shrimp'

They're tied hook point up like a Clouser deep minnow, but it's not dumbbell eyes that cause them to fish point-up, it's the wing
The wing on these flies also protects the hook point just like a weed guard
You'd need to use a fairly stiff but thin material for the wing... elk hock or deer mask maybe.
If you want weighted, you could add a few strips of lead to the top of the hook shank
Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Weedless nymphs will be hard to find, but I wouldn't worry about it. Any trout big enough to get excited about are plenty used to eating minnnows as well.

Bendback style flies would work well-

Or other streamers that have both the hook point up and covered would be good-

There's lots of bass flies with weedguards that would work well also-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: a fly for weeds/reeds?

Hey Cliff
You just inspired me to ty up a few bend backs. Nice looking flies.

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Weedless nymphs will be hard to find, but I wouldn't worry about it. Any trout big enough to get excited about are plenty used to eating minnnows as well.

Bendback style flies would work well-

Or other streamers that have both the hook point up and covered would be good-

There's lots of bass flies with weedguards that would work well also-
Cliff beat me to my answer.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Weedless Streamers

Can I put a weed guard on a pre-tied (store bought) streamer?

I'd like to fish weedless woolly buggers but I can't find any.

Randy
Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Randy,

I haven't done this in a long time but I will see if I can remember how I use to do it.

You can add a double wire weed guard to a pre-tied Woolly Bugger. The problem is your head will end up being bulky. You have to tie in the wire and super glue it. With an existing head it can get large.

You can buy Metz Stainless Steel Weed Guards that work well. The are already bent into a loop that goes behind the hook eye. Here is how I would do it.

1. Slide the guard over the hook directly behind the hook eye.

2. Tie in the guard using a criss-cross underneath and over the hook and guard.

3. Add a drop of Superglue to the tie making sure you include the hook, thread and guard in the glue.

4. Once the glue is dry take needle nose pliers and bend the two weed gards back towards the hook point. Separate the two wires so they form a V over the hook point.

Normally the weed guard is bent into proper sharp before it is tied in but it may be harder to do with the fly already finish.

Here is an alternative way to bend the weed guard if you have flat jawed pliers. This works best when tying a new fly.

1. Grasp the weed guard at the loop about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch down with the pliers. Make sure the bottom of the pliers jaw is at a right angle to the weed guard. Now make a 90 degree bend in the weed guard. What you will have is the weed guard with a small loop that lays over the top of the hook just behind the hook eye. The weed guard will be sticking back parallel with the hook shank. This gives you a better way to tie in the weed guard with the wires being parallel with the hook shank.

2. Tie in the weed guard and Superglue.

3. After the glue drys bend the weed guard down at an angle forming the V over the hook point. You should hold the weed guard with the pliers at the tie in point as you bend the wires down and back. This keeps you from breaking the glue joint.

This may give you some ideas of your own.

Frank

Metz Stainless Steel Weed Guards
Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Amazing how much a guy can learn here. I've never seen those weed guards Frank, but looking for some now. Thanks.