The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Okuma?

so another gear question,

I'm very impressed with the recent OKUMA gear ive gotten lately and was wondering if anyone else has any opinion on their products. it seems like great gear at a good price.

thanks, casey

ARFE
Old 03-12-2011, 11:56 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Okuma?

My experience is with the Sierra reel. I've had the 3/4, 5/6 and 8/9. They are smooth, strong and can last through many large fish with no degradation.

Fished one of their lower end rods for a couple of hours and was not too impressed. I think of them as a reel company...

-Mike
Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

My first rig is a WW Grigg rod and an Okuma Magnitude reel.

The Rod is slow and the reel works fine. I still use them when tossing dries towards shore on lakes.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my new gear consists of 2 new reels. a vashon 3/4 and a sanibel 8/9. both machined and with sealed drags. i'm impressed by both.
an slv 2/3 rod is on the way as well.

a report of all, hopefully including fish pics, coming soon.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-13-2011, 06:54 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have Okuma Magnitude (both styles/standard & wide) and SLV reels and like both. The reels I have are a bit small for the suggested rod sizes, especially the Magnitude, but a 7/8 reel on a 6wt rod works great.

I also bought a Magnitude 6wt rod to try. The rod didn't impress me as well as the reels. The guides are small and I can hear the line when I strip line in, so I'm guessing they aren't as smooth as they should be. I also found some corrosion (looked like it was sand blasted) under the lock ring on the reel seat after I used the rod for a short time and removed the reel. It had probably had moisture under the ring (I fish freshwater only) after use and I leave the reels on the rods so it didn't get dried immediately. I've never had this problem with any other rod, though.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I have an Sierra 3/4 that I fish sometimes on my 3wt, but upgraded that reel this offseason. But I enjoy the reel, nice little click and pawl action and balances well. My niece landed some pink salmon this summer using mine.

With that being said I have not been that impressed with the SLV 8/9 that I have. I caught a bunch of fish with it, but the first time I had it out it barely glances off a rock and the rim got compressed on the frame side. Making a catch on the spool. The stamped aluminum just didnt hold up. I thought that I had sand or a small rock stuck in there at first but on closer inspection it was obvious there was a bend in it.

It went back to operational with some good leatherman work and a little time. I also dont like the drag adjust on it, but that is more of a gloved hand operational issue. I am in the process of upgrading this reel with a Galvan T-8 so it will become my backup. With that being said, I landed a ton of fish using that reel. All 5 species of salmon, pike, bows, dollies/char. For its price not a bad deal if you can baby your gear.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I've had a few of their reels and think they are a really good value. The Sierra's are really good for the price, and the Hydros I had was a really amazing reel. Lightweight, great sealed drag and an awesome finish.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have several 4/5 and 5/6 Sierras and spare spools I've been using for over 10 years. They've worked fine for me, though I've never given the drags much of a test. Good reel at the price.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

The 7/9 wt airframe large arbor reel has just turned up today the reel cost much less than the spare spool on most other reels! I cant find where they have cut any cost the bearings are stainless steel, the drag is soooo smothe, and the whole thing is made of graphite at twice the physical size of my 6wt reel it is still half the weight

I am very impressed with what I got for $40 NZD cant wait to get it out

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 PM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

My Helios 6# is a good reel but a little pricey. I find it a little heavy and generally use my Pflueger more often.