The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: rod-reel balance...help

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
For kicks, I got a new Albright GPX 5/6 and put it on my Quarrow 5wt to see where it balances. Although it is very unscientific, I could balance it on my index finger right at the end of the grip towards the front of the rod. With the backing and line on, it will probably move back just a bit. To me, it should be just right.
Axle,

Once you string the line through the guides it'll probably be about the same place. That's the spot I'm talking about young Skywalker, with the balance at the winding check area that Quarrow will feel like a light saber in your hand. Remember, The Force lives within the old ways.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I found that my new steelhead rod feels/casts much better with the balance at the front of the grip. The reel I intended to use is much too light. I taped AA batteries on the reel seat to add weight, balancing the rod where I wanted. With the balance too far forward, the rod felt very tip heavy (obviously). It felt very awkward. The rod seemed very slow to get moving on the back cast, and wanted to keep going on the forward cast. With the balance changed, it feels much more "controlled" while casting. This sensation was not nearly as noticeable with my shorter, lighter rods.

Have any rod makes ever provided for adding weight inside the reel seat to balance rods while still using light reels? It seems a lot of reel makers are making lightweight reels that won't balance longer, heavier rods.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post

Have any rod makes ever provided for adding weight inside the reel seat to balance rods while still using light reels? It seems a lot of reel makers are making lightweight reels that won't balance longer, heavier rods.
I hear that! While I can appreciate a light reel on a short light rod, using a
4oz 5-7wt reel on a 9' 6wt makes the rod feel too tip heavy. My 7' Parks
bamboo rod felt great with an Orvis BBS III reel, but when I bought the same
rod in 7'6", the tip dropped like a lead ballon with the same reel...

The people on the classic rod forum are always talking about spooling lead
onto reels to balance heavier, longer bamboo: spool on the .025" lead, then
backing, and fly line. I'd rather get a larger reel myself.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I know Pflueger used to recommend adding lead shot to the Medalist reels to get the desired balance.It could be added behind the latch cover.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipS View Post
I know Pflueger used to recommend adding lead shot to the Medalist reels to get the desired balance.It could be added behind the latch cover.
I'm one of those who does not think balance is a big deal with a single hand rod. If you want to add weight to the reel however, you can take lead tape {zonker stuff} put it on the arbor under the backing. You can, if the reel is big enough, put it on the center of the spool. You can also start off with lead core line instead of backing.
All of my single hand rods seem to balance out OK without any extra tuning. With graphite being so light, a 9' rod with most reels will only shift the balance a tad. If you ever decide to go with a spey rod, It becomes more important and easier get it out of whack.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I am with Diver Dan. I have never paid much attention about the balance of the rod and reel. What I worry about is the rod and reel setup tip heavy. I don't like a tip heavy setup. Usually if you use a reel sized for the rod you are using then the balance takes care of its self. Where you get in trouble is using a reel rated much higher than the rod. For instance a size 8 reel would be a bit large for a size 4 or 5 rod.

There is some advantage with very light reels like the Evolution. You can use a larger diameter reel on a smaller rod and still get a good setup.

Frank
Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Rap,

I'm not sure where I got this idea from, but for at least 30 years I have been striving to balance my rigs at that point on the handle that is right behind the winding check. Somehow the words old-timer come to mind, someone schooled me to think this way.

By balance I mean reel mounted, line strung up, and fly on the keeper. I think a rig is perfect if it will sit atop the tip of my index finger at the check. The one virtue that good balance has is that when you are walking and carrying a rod, you need not keep a death grip on the handle to keep the tip from dipping into the ground or angling up into the limbs of the trail side brush. Those of you who have snapped a tip by dipping it into the ground should be able to relate to this immediately.

Whether or not balance reduces fatigue when casting is an open debate, I would think that once you are hauling 30 or more feet of line around above your head, the balance point created between your rod and reel isn't all that important.

Ard
Good advice, Ard.

Neil
Old 10-17-2009, 09:21 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I learned some things re: balance in my quest to balance a 10' rod (my 1st rod this long). Static balance was achieved with a reel that weighed 11.5 oz with line and backing. The rod felt great just balancing on my finger. Casting it also felt better than with a lighter reel. The real difference was after casting for 1/2-3/4 hr. The added weight of the heavier reel got bothersome. I've gone back to a lighter reel and feel static balance is less important than overall weight at the end of the day. And now I don't have a reel on my rod that could be used as a spare on my car in a pinch.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
I learned some things re: balance in my quest to balance a 10' rod (my 1st rod this long). Static balance was achieved with a reel that weighed 11.5 oz with line and backing. The rod felt great just balancing on my finger. Casting it also felt better than with a lighter reel. The real difference was after casting for 1/2-3/4 hr. The added weight of the heavier reel got bothersome. I've gone back to a lighter reel and feel static balance is less important than overall weight at the end of the day. And now I don't have a reel on my rod that could be used as a spare on my car in a pinch.
Like PDQ! Overall weight is the determining factor. Static balance is fine in theory, but with line out, it's irrelevant in real life.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Axle,

Once you string the line through the guides it'll probably be about the same place. That's the spot I'm talking about young Skywalker, with the balance at the winding check area that Quarrow will feel like a light saber in your hand. Remember, The Force lives within the old ways.
You were correct, Master. The Quarrow/Albright felt very good in my hands when I was out this past weekend. I was messing around at one point, just seeing how far I could cast. I got out to better than 60 feet straight out.

Only caught 8 fish, but two (2) were 20+ inch rainbows. Just about all of them were on #6 Mickey Finn's.