The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rod-reel balance...help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

There is some advantage with very light reels like the Evolution. You can use a larger diameter reel on a smaller rod and still get a good setup.

Frank
The #2, #3, and #3.5 Evolutions are all within .5oz of each other. I decided
to go with the #3 for my 5wt, because I can add/subtract backing to adjust
the reel weight and balance. I was fishing a 9' 6wt yesterday, and its balance
was very comfortable with the reel I chose for it. I don't have a specific
test for balance. While fishing, if I begin to think an outfit feels tip heavy, it
probably needs some tweaking. If I don't have to think about the rod and reel,
all is well.

There's an old saying in sailing. If you start thinking it's time to shorten sail
(because of an increase in wind), you've reached the point where you should
have already shortened.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Its also wise to be mindful that while those differing sizes of reels may not have weights that vary a ton, you're still adding a line to it that does vary pretty greatly.

I'm getting a new Evo once their available, and I'm contemplating all this kind of stuff as I figure out what size to pair with my 6wt Predator. So far I've fished the rod with a Ross Colorado 2 and a Sage 1680 reel. The big Sage reel wasn't to horribly heavy for it, so I'm thinking that the 3.5 Evolution LT will be my pick.

And ooooooooh, they's pretty-
Click the image to open in full size.
I was still working at a shop when the original Evo was coming out and I got to play with a prototype before they hit the market. I wanted one then but just never got around to it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cliff,
My comment about the close reel weights was made to point out that some reels can serve well on a 4wt and a 7wt without paying a weight
penalty (unless you fill the larger reel to its max backing capacity and put
it on a 4wt). There are plenty of reels that are close in weight throughout
various sizes, but there are plenty of others that get reel heavy reel fast as the size increases. I bought a few Ross
Rhythms on clearance, and spare spools were $25/each . The Rhythms' weights aren't as closely matched as the Evo, but
I can use a 3.5 on a 6wt and 8wt. Evo spools haven't been offered at that sort of discount yet, so my plan of one or two reels
with several spools will have to wait.

Let us know what you think of the new Evolution, please. I'm waiting for the
original Evo's to be price slashed .