The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 AM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default rod-reel balance...help

good morning friends.....i need a bit of help. i have a teton tioga magnum wide arbor reel (4-7wt) and thought about matching it up with a new st. croix avid 6wt. i believe the reel weighs 5.6 ounces, without line. not sure where the balance pt. should be. also, is this reel too heavy? it is only a little more than an ounce more than my standard arbor orvis battenkill (5-6wt) but it seems a lot heavier. i plan to use this outfit for smallmouth, primarily. thank you.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: rod-reel balance...help

Just guessing, that reel might be a little heavy for that rod, but not by much at all. Some prefer the balance point to be in the middle of the cork, some at the point where your index finger sits when gripping the rod. I think anywhere in that range works just fine.

The Avid rods are quite light. I would suggest also trying the Imperial series, which is likely a little heavier and might balance better with that rod. The Imperial are a little faster (which I prefer above a 5wt) and happen to be a bit cheaper too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:52 AM

cliff, i put the reel with line on a 5wt sage and it balanced just about where you said. the rod is eight and a half feet, and the avid i am looking at is 9.

with the avid, it is american made, and as a newer flyfisher, i think that a mod-fast may be a bit more forgiving. however, i am open to ideas. thank you for the reply.....rich
Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I had a 9', 6 wt Avid with the same Tioga reel. It balanced fine, IMO. I was told to check rod balance with the rod strung, and 5 or so feet of line out. You'll also find the Avid to be a very nice, forgiving rod. The Tioga reel is well made, with a good drag.

I have other questions of my own re: balance as I'm trying to find a suitable reel for a new 10' rod. I'll be back later. Gotta run.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an Avid 9' 5wt, and I wouldn't worry about 5.6 oz. Mine felt a bit tip
heavy with a reel less than 5oz, and the 6wt will likely be the same. Nice
rod BTW!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

That reel is just fine.I fish reels over 6oz on my 6wt with no problems.This balance issue is overblown.Its just not important where the balance point is.As soon as your line is outside the rod tip the balance point changes and continually changes as more line is cast.As long as the reel isnt overly heavy it will be ok.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rap,

I'm not sure where I got this idea from, but for at least 30 years I have been striving to balance my rigs at that point on the handle that is right behind the winding check. Somehow the words old-timer come to mind, someone schooled me to think this way.

By balance I mean reel mounted, line strung up, and fly on the keeper. I think a rig is perfect if it will sit atop the tip of my index finger at the check. The one virtue that good balance has is that when you are walking and carrying a rod, you need not keep a death grip on the handle to keep the tip from dipping into the ground or angling up into the limbs of the trail side brush. Those of you who have snapped a tip by dipping it into the ground should be able to relate to this immediately.

Whether or not balance reduces fatigue when casting is an open debate, I would think that once you are hauling 30 or more feet of line around above your head, the balance point created between your rod and reel isn't all that important.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-05-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about the balance point with your rod and reel. The way I figure it, if the rig doesn't feel right when you are casting, you'll know it. I don't think that you will have an issue.

MP
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

For kicks, I got a new Albright GPX 5/6 and put it on my Quarrow 5wt to see where it balances. Although it is very unscientific, I could balance it on my index finger right at the end of the grip towards the front of the rod. With the backing and line on, it will probably move back just a bit. To me, it should be just right.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 AM

guys, i really appreciate the help. i was off on the weight. the actual weight is 5.8 ounces. i will give it a try though. the reel is really nice, at least for this rookie, and i got a great deal on it. again, i thank all of you.