The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road
Default trout fishing in southwest wisconsin

Anybody fish soutwest wisconsin by lacrosse?
Is there any good trout spots within 50 miles of there? Anything can help, im headed up there for the weekend and wanted to throw some flies if its in season and theres fish to cast at
thanks
tom
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road
Default Re: trout fishing in southwest wisconsin

google the state dnr trout maps for the area and do some adventuring, the Fort McCoy area withtin 30-40 miles has some nice improved waters boasting big brook trout and browns. also check the state trout season, if it's not over it's close to over. a little farther away within an hour's drive is the whitewater river in MN world famous for trout in the 10 lb area also the root river near preston MN. if season is still on your in for a fun time bring plenty of pheasant tail's, BH hare's ears and root river special's.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:45 PM

thirdyearff is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately your about a week late. The inland trout season closed the end of September.

However, hop over the Mississippi into Iowa and have at it...those creeks are open year round.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

Iowa non resident is super expensive now days if i remeber corectly, but yes there is that option, otherwise if you have a boat i bet the walleyes are biting below the dams on the mississippi river, not fly fishing but you can get your fix of fishing non the less.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

As an Iowa resident I can tell you that even though the license is a bit pricey it would be worth it. I usually stay in Prarie Du Chen for my trips north. Waterloo Creek is excellent as well as the Paints. French creek is also excellent. With the mild temps we had the Iowa DNR kept stocking pretty much through the whole summer so their are plenty of fish. The Iowa DNR website has a list of all the trout streams in the state.