The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 AM

bellyflop is on a distinguished road
Default Books you've enjoyed ...

I've recently read several good books on fly fishing and it got me wondering what you all might have enjoyed reading.

I've recently read "Bluegill ... Fly Fishing & Flies" by Terry & Roxanne Wilson. Good book and it got my excited about this fun fish.

Also, "Trout Eyes" by William Tapply. May he rest in peace. This a great book for unwinding before sleep. Just an enjoyable read.

My current read is "Presenting The Fly" by Lefty Kreh. I picked it up at the library almost as a second thought. Boy am I glad I did! As a newbie, this book is just chucked full of wisdom from one of the masters.

So, what have you read or perhaps reading right now? What have you enjoyed/found useful? Doesn't matter what type of book as long as it's related to fly fishing. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books you've enjoyed ...

Right now I've got two in the works..

The Dry Fly, New Angles by Gary Lafontaine is as an important book on our sports as any ever written.

Catskill Rivers by Austin Frances is an interesting history of the cradle of American flyfishing and it's rivers
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

RipTide, I'm sure you'd enjoy "Trout Flies" by GL as well. I've not yet read his dry fly book, but I'm pretty sure "Trout Flies" throws in a bit more of the storytelling that GL did so well.

LaFontaine's "Caddisflies" is a required classic, of course.

"Wisdom of the Guides" is a great collection of advice from lots of experts.

Joe Humphreys "Trout Tactics" is probably the single book I would recommend to someone wanting a comprehensive guide to catching those fish.

For a beginner book (that's worthwhile for amateurs and experts as well), the Curtis Creek Manifesto is hard to beat.

I'm currently working through John Judy's "Slack Line Strategies" and finding it chock full of great info on some more advanced techniques.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
RipTide, I'm sure you'd enjoy "Trout Flies" by GL as well. I've not yet read his dry fly book, but I'm pretty sure "Trout Flies" throws in a bit more of the storytelling that GL did so well.

LaFontaine's "Caddisflies" is a required classic, of course.
I have Trout Flies, Caddisflies as well
Gary was originally from CT and was a life long member of our club
In fact his early experiments with anton as a tying material were first written about in out club newsletter.

Another important, but fairly unknown book is The Trout and the Fly by Clarke and Goddard.
Anyone interested in the behavior of trout in relation to flies and fishing needs to read this.
It's a British book from the late '70s but still very relevant.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bellyflop,

I have found that my reading regarding fishing is more for the purpose of research that entertainment. Although I have purchased more books than I really remember these three stand out as having been useful. By useful, I mean they taught me something that I could apply wherever I am fishing for whatever species I'm fishing for.

Through the Fish's Eye: An Angler's Guide to Gamefish Behavior by Mark Sosin

What Fish See: Understanding Optics and Color Shifts for Designing Lures and Flies
by Colin J. Kageyama

Last but not least; Fly Fishing by Tom Mcnally.

Mcnally's book was the apex of my reading regarding fly fishing. I read this in 1978 and can safely state that the information contained within the covers can be duplicated, re-hashed, updated, digitalized, or even preformed as a Broadway Play, but never improved upon!

I have recommended this work to many anglers whether they were new to fly fishing or had been around awhile but I seriously doubt that any have read the book. Perhaps the vintage of the first printing subliminally suggests that the information and techniques are outdated and obsolete. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Unless you already know everything, and can execute a perfect 'steeple cast' there is something for you in this book. Yeah, it's old school but then that's why I stand by it.

Ard

P.S. I just looked at this post, the bold might have been uncalled for, but I think you will get the idea that I am passionate about the Mcnally book. Sorry for being so brash.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-06-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Add a post script
Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

I'm reading LaFontaine's "Fly Fishing Mountain Lakes", and he has made me laugh out loud a number of times. He alternates a chapter of technical info with a chapter of his adventures through the book.

It's a very entertaining read!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM

soyavenger is on a distinguished road

not really about fly fishing, but more about the allure of the outdoors, adventure and such. "wild at heart" by John Eldredge is a really good read. while its geared a little more toward men, its really about why men may do the things they do, so women may find it interesting, also. i really enjoyed it.

just fair warning, i wouldnt call it a religious book, it does reference the bible more than once. even if thats not youre thing, its a good read.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Anything by John Gierach but "Death, Taxes and leaky waders" has parts from many of his writings over the years. Simply good story telling with a twist of humor and a sqeeze of how-to thrown about.

I'm working through A.K.'s books now. More information and less story like but vary good as well.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 PM

bellyflop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
P.S. I just looked at this post, the bold might have been uncalled for, but I think you will get the idea that I am passionate about the Mcnally book. Sorry for being so brash.
Not a worry in the least.

As I suspected your a well read group. I recently got laid up so I'll have a lot of time to read so thanks for sharing.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

The Beaverkill by Ed van Put.
Randy