The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Pulling the trigger on boots (help)

Ladies and gents, I've pulled the trigger on an order of the Simms Rivershed boots, but am 2nd guessing my self as to why i shouldnt spend the extra 40$ on the G4 Guide's. Can any one REALLY lay out the differences for me? Also I've been told that the weights listed on the Simms website are incorrect and the the G4's are quite a bit heavier than the Riversheds, can anyone confirm this? I MAY pack these boots in, but I'm a pretty strong and willed kid (28) so I'm not to worried about the weight if it's not an extreme difference.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pulling the trigger on boots (help)

I have, I think, the Riversheds. The $140. pair. They ARE a good bit lighter. I'm perfectly happy with mine & see no reason to spend the extra.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I can't give you a comparison but will say no more walking that I do I like my G4's. Might have walked a mile yesterday in them. I bought them because they looked well built and so far they haven't fallen apart like my first pair of wading boots. I've had them for over a year. I don't think you made a bad choice on what you picked.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

The G4s are a bit heavier. The calorie burn is approximately 1 lb on your feet = 5 on your back. Remember, dark colors are warmer too.
For what it's worth. I've been pounding on a pair of Simms freestones for a few years now, and provide them for clients. They have fewer seams exposed and hold up quite well. Save a little money too.
I should add, the secret is to coat the threads you do see, with aqua seal.
The threads can't chafe.

Jim
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I agonized over a new pair of boots after my Orvis cheep-o ones came apart. Since the Orvis shop gave me a full refund after wearing them for 3 years I felt obligated to buy Orvis again. Picked up the Rivergard Ultalights. Seem nice but I have not had them of the stream yet.