The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 PM

elsewhere is on a distinguished road
Default Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

Hey guys,

I've been reading up on the various methods of putting a loop on your fly line so that it is easier to change leaders. I've also noticed that some fly lines come with pre-built loops. Finally, I read up on using braided loops to put a loop on your fly line.

So I hope this doesn't come off as a stupid question.... Why cant you just tie a perfection loop to the end of your fly line? Am I overthinking this?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

You can, first nail knot a butt section to your line, say .21" or so, then put the perfection loop in the butt.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Actually that wasn't what I meant What I wonder is why I just can't tie the perfection loop directly from the fly line and not have to use mono or anything else at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You can, first nail knot a butt section to your line, say .21" or so, then put the perfection loop in the butt.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM

K.Gro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Hey guys,

I've been reading up on the various methods of putting a loop on your fly line so that it is easier to change leaders. I've also noticed that some fly lines come with pre-built loops. Finally, I read up on using braided loops to put a loop on your fly line.

So I hope this doesn't come off as a stupid question.... Why cant you just tie a perfection loop to the end of your fly line? Am I overthinking this?
Whip a loop on to your line.
This is what I have done for the past year or so and it has yet to fail on me. I fish for large mouth and striper here in texas, and this connection has taken quite a bit of abuse. Fish have gotten my line hung up in all sorts of stumps and rocks as well as other various things and it looks the same as the day I whipped the loop into the line.
Go here...
http://barflyfish.com/article_whippi...n_fly_line.htm

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Yes you can use a perfection loop if you want to, you can do anything you want. It might work out for you, it is just not how most folks go about putting a loop in the fly line.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually that wasn't what I meant What I wonder is why I just can't tie the perfection loop directly from the fly line and not have to use mono or anything else at all?
If fishing for trout it is nice to avoid anything large at the line leader connection. Whatever you decide to do make sure it is not going to get hung up in the snake guides if you reel or strip it in past the tip top and then want to cast again.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:09 PM

This one looks like a winner!

Does it need superglue for the knot?

I want to avoid using any method that requires glue, flame, or anything else besides my fly line and some heavy mono.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Gro View Post
Whip a loop on to your line.
This is what I have done for the past year or so and it has yet to fail on me. I fish for large mouth and striper here in texas, and this connection has taken quite a bit of abuse. Fish have gotten my line hung up in all sorts of stumps and rocks as well as other various things and it looks the same as the day I whipped the loop into the line.
Go here...
http://barflyfish.com/article_whippi...n_fly_line.htm

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Yes you can use a perfection loop if you want to, you can do anything you want. It might work out for you, it is just not how most folks go about putting a loop in the fly line.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I wrap my loop with fly tying thread and then rub a bit of Knot sealer. It's never failed me. I've not tried using mono to wrap the loop. I would be worried the mono cutting into the line and it loosing it's waterproofing.

I have tried just about everything mentioned in previous post...I would not recommend the braided loops. I also have used a nail knot to attach a short length of amnesia line and then make my loop. That works well too. I like the amnesia as it is red and makes it easier to see the end of your line, for old guys like me who have trouble seeing.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM

halo7b is on a distinguished road

I also use amnesia, in various weights depending on the weight of the fly line, it is easy to see (even for us young guys) and have found it works as a bit of a shock tip depending on the length you put on.
Having tried the slip on loops I have found these add the wrong type of weight and is some cases too much drag to be effective on gin style waters, and presentation is bad.
Also have used the whipped loop and i'm still using it on my spey lines and agree, very durable.
tying a perfection loop into the end of the fly line is a good way to snap a tip when reeling in and not notice where the knot is, also presents a bit of drag off the water with the heavy knot.
just my opinions though trials and fails
Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Default About Amnesia

That is precisely what I use but I prefer chartreuse. I did not suggest it because I figured he was dry fly fishing for trout. I always liked things a little stealthier for trout on dries.

Here I fish wet all the time and this is one of my connections, 30lb Amnesia nail knotted to the fly-line in front and 36lb saltwater Micron nail knotted on the back side. That way the butt snaps before my backing.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Question on putting a loop onto a fly line

Quote:
I've done it and it worked out well

One night I was fishing an open beach alone when my whipped loop failed and I lost my leader
Turns out my flashlight was nearly dead too
I knew I could tie a perfection loop in the dark, so it was either that or go home.
I stripped the pvc coating back and tied the loop in the core material and was good to go
Worked well enough that I left it that way for the rest of the season.

It's important to remember however that this was on an intermediate line.
It you tried this with a floating line the core would become water logged and the line would sink