The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 03:12 PM

driftaway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Important stuff!

here is what i have in one of the bags on my pontoon boat all the time
1. WATERPROOF flashlight
2. whistle
3.first aid kit
4. knife/tool combo
5.bungee cords
6. Pfd
7. para cord
8. head lamp.
8. SPOT locator. I was a SPOT customer before i became a dealer it operaties via satillite. it has three ways to communicate. A. email your location to just let someone know where you are and track your trip. B. need help button which lets your contact know to come get you and you need help. C. all the bells and whistles go off and search and rescue are on thier way to your location. The thing is waterproof and floats.

Im amazed when I see a person spend $700 on a fly rod, $350 on reel, $400 for waders and then when it comes to safety throw in a cheap $3 flashlight and a couple of band-aids
Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway View Post
Im amazed when I see a person spend $700 on a fly rod, $350 on reel, $400 for waders and then when it comes to safety throw in a cheap $3 flashlight and a couple of band-aids
Yea Buddy!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This has been a good thread Fysh,

After reading some of the lists supplied I realized I left a lot of things unmentioned. Because of the duration of the trips I take there are always extra cloths in a dry bag and I also carry an MSR Wisperlight stove, coffee pot, and some Mountain House quick meals. I have already needed the dry cloths a few times and if the boat quits 80 miles from the road system having a tent on board is a nice touch.

I guess it all comes down to what kind of boating you are doing. Good thread,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Wet wipes. milt.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:04 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Ard

Most of my trips a simple day trips. But I do pack some extra clothes. Never know when somebody might miss step and take a bath. Our waters are pretty cold most the time. Also our weather can turn quickly here in the mountains. It pays to be prepared!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Important stuff!

"SPOT locater. I was a SPOT customer before..."

A new one on me ... I think. Have a link we all could take a peek at?

fae
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

A new addition to my gear last year was a manuel bilge pump. Make bailing real simple and fast!!

Click the image to open in full size.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post

Most of my trips a simple day trips. But I do pack some extra clothes. Never know when somebody might miss step and take a bath. Our waters are pretty cold most the time. Also our weather can turn quickly here in the mountains. It pays to be prepared!!
Same for me
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 AM

driftaway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"SPOT locater. I was a SPOT customer before..."

A new one on me ... I think. Have a link we all could take a peek at?

fae
Just click on my banner ad on this forum. It will take you to the link.
Thanks
Tom
Drift Away Outfitters.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:39 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

I like to make sure I have my fishing gear
No but really to me it seems relative to the river section floated, many rivers I float if the second to worst thing happened to me (that is everything other than me floating to the bottom) I could either walk out or hitch a ride.

Have yet to float something remote enough to feel I would be spending much time there. Maybe that's an error on my part but I have limited options in the area.

Anyway to give you an idea of a few of the things I like to always make sure I have or have extra of in the boat: many of which have already been mentioned.

Wag bags! disappointing I haven't heard that one yet, but doesn't surprise me
Knife(close by)
extra oar (of course)
extra oar lock(s)
extra plug(s)
extra hat
extra glasses
whistle
sun screen
bud dope
first aid kit
duct tape
garbage bags
Rope/carabiners
throw bag
binoculars
cameras
gloves
rain jacket
boat blanket
a couple head lamps
permits (if needed)
bailing bucket
PDF'S(AND WEAR THEM)
floatation device
Did I say Wag bag!

And then of course I always have a cooler with food and drinks/water along with a dry bag of extra clothing.

Wow never really put thought to all the stuff I keep in the boat, most of its just always there in case I need it! Guaranteed that's not everything and for the most part it's a lot of little stuff so it just stays put.

In one if not the only books on drift boats (as far as I know of or own) has a pretty decent checklist for all sorts of things needed depending on the occasion, the book in general is worth checking out.float plan, passenger safety, pretrip etc.

Now if Its a multiple day trip you can only imagine how the list would grow.
One thing is for sure I'm not tying my self to anything. Losing a boat would be one thing but a life well that's another.

I think that it is often overlooked or blown off that people die on class 1 rivers every year. It doesn't have to be big water to put you in your place and even with experience the more you do it the more likely the time will come when you are up against a rock or pulling in water, it's just bound to happen.

In general its just good to know what your going to do when that something does happen?

Good things to be thinking about as I plan on floating this next weekend! Thanks for the reminder I better check those battery's in the flashlights before I head out....
Sorry for rambling on!
May be more info then ya all needed and sometimes I think I should have a breathalyzer on my computer but hey that's my 2cents.
Peace!