The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default You'll shoot your eye out kid!

I did a bad one the other day. I hooked the bottom with my fly. I tried to do a roll cast out past the fly and then when the line is on the water pull and get the fly to come off the opposite way it went on. This work really well with a 15' spey rod and 60' of shooting head. I can save almost every fly. However. I thought the fly was still stuck and really wound up and as I went into the start position, the fly shot out of the water and straight back at me. It hit me hard {Clouser!} right in the right eye. I saw stars. I wear contacts, and I think that saved me from a scratched cornea. If it would have hit barb first, I doubt the contact would have helped a bit. I am NEVER going to fly fish without safety glasses or sunglasses on ever again. It's something you may want to consider as well. Notice the glasses in this photo. I think loosing an eye might interfere with my fly tying. Although you get that cool pirate look thing going! Fishing is now the #1 sport for eye injuries. Lets see if we can give it back to basketball.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 AM

bellyflop is on a distinguished road
Default Re: You'll shoot your eye out kid!

Man, glad it worked out the way it did. Thanks for posting about your close call. Keeps the dangers fresh in our minds and possibly saving someones eye sight!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

u r very lucky man!! always where eye protection! get some good polarized sunglasses . could save your eyes and help ya see underwater!! a 2 for 1 deal!! glad u r ok man!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You could pretty much hook yourself anywhere on your body except for your eyes and not have an injury that will alter your lifestyle.

If you hook yourself in the eye, be prepared for a change in lifestyle.

Spending $10 or for a set of safety glasses or $25 for a set of off the rack polarized sunglasses is better than paying for the eye surgery and becoming blind.

MP
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If anybody comes across any good deals on very lightly tinted (yellow or amber) polarized glasses, post it up. Fishing on a cloudy day is no reason to puncture an eyeball.

Since even without polarization is much better than nothing, the type Dan is modeling that Lowe's/HD sells for $10 work just fine too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Cliff, I think you can get the safety glasses in the yellow tint and I know you can find them with a copper tint.

Dan
Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
If anybody comes across any good deals on very lightly tinted (yellow or amber) polarized glasses, post it up. Fishing on a cloudy day is no reason to puncture an eyeball.

Since even without polarization is much better than nothing, the type Dan is modeling that Lowe's/HD sells for $10 work just fine too.
Walmart has yellow lens safty glasses with camo frames for about $5.oo. They have a better pair for about $10.oo. A lot cheaper than putting an eye out. Man I got lucky.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

My Canadian freind just got a pair of yellow tinted safety glasses that are awsome. He got them at the local gun shop. They are a brand called Radians. They were $9.99. I like them better than mine. Maybe worth while to look in the neighborhood gun shop.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Glad that your ok, eye injuries aren't pretty. I always wear my glasses when I'm on the water.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
Glad that your ok, eye injuries aren't pretty. I always wear my glasses when I'm on the water.
Me too.....now!