The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Saving Money on Materials

I just posted a fly in the Share Patter forum called The Cross Fitch. After looking at the post I realized that the cheeks on that fly look enough like jungle cock eyes to be jungle cock eyes, but they are not!
That is a pair of small golden pheasant tippets slicked down with Tough Feather (TM) I would imagine lacquer head cement will give the same effect. Look at that, they are almost a dead ringer for the expensive JC nails used for cheeks.

Hope this helps someone create classic looking streamers and wets without having to pony up the bucks for jungle cock feathers.

Ard

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saving Money on Materials

Nice fly and idea Ard....now what are you going to buy with the money you've saved on junglecock feathers?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Nice fly and idea Ard....now what are you going to buy with the money you've saved on junglecock feathers?
Hooks, Jean Paul, hooks.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've already decided to see how long I can stand to just tie flies with the materials I've already got instead of buying new stuff I use 5% of and then never use again. Hell, I've already got enough stuff to tie for years without running out of much.

Kinda the tying materials version of a "staycation" I suppose. Shooting for the rest of the year.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

BTW, that's a good looking fly!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I've already decided to see how long I can stand to just tie flies with the materials I've already got instead of buying new stuff I use 5% of and then never use again. Hell, I've already got enough stuff to tie for years without running out of much.

Kinda the tying materials version of a "staycation" I suppose. Shooting for the rest of the year.
BigCliff: That reminds me of the country song where the singer says "Yesterday I tried quiting women, drinking and smoking.....it was the worst 15 minutes of my life". Admit it you have the "fly tying material addiction" like the rest of us, going until the end of the year without buying the latest material will be pure misery! LOL!

Larry

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Ard: Very cool looking fly, I have to admit that the cheek does look like JC.

Larry
Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

quote:I have to admit that the cheek does look like JC.
___

Larry
That's why it's a miracle
Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Ard! I looked at the picture before I looked at the script and I thought it was Jungle Cock! Really nice tie, and great idea. Is the wing Bear? And what is the throat?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Good looking fly Ard...The JC imitation looks like the real thing...

Dan
Old 10-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

I've been on that kick for a few years
Besides the stuff I get from club raffles, I only replace material that I run low on.
Hooks, thread, and saddle hackle mostly
I already have enough materials to last me several lifetimes... I have no problem using what I have instead of running out and buying 'the latest thing'