The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Worlds Best Fishing & You

I do hope that no one gets the wrong impression regarding what this thread is about but here goes........................

I have seen posts from people showing every thing from monster brown trout to full length films. When I see these posts my thoughts wander to the members whose posts I read from areas where all they have to cast to are pan-fish or some other less than regal game-fish. Sometimes you may feel that my posts are themselves an ongoing program about how great Alaska is. I do hope they don't come off that way, my apologies.

I know that the worlds greatest fishing is where you are fishing. Once you have made that first cast your mind is free! Regardless of what you are fishing for, bluegills in central Missouri, Bass in Florida, or a dace in France, you are all feeling that same freedom from life's complexities. My mind goes blank like a clean slate so that the coming events can be written on my memory. Maybe you too have this sensation when you are at your favorite water.

What we see, what we hear, and the way we feel when the final cast has been reeled in and the fly is on the hook keeper ready for the walk back to our other life is what keeps us coming back. Perhaps you feel that greatness is not determined by the number of fish nor the size of the fish, but by the fact that you were able to go fishing. Just as the marketers of tackle would lead you to believe that without certain rods and reels your experience will somehow be diminished in comparison to someone who has acquired those certain rods and reels, I feel that people may unknowingly disparage my quality of experience by promoting something or somewhere as the greatest or the best. I have lived many places and have loved many rivers and creeks. There are no real favorites and I don't know if there is a best or greatest. To make such a determination would somehow seem to degrade all of the other waters.

To take your fly rod and to go to the water allows a person to become intrinsic with their natural world and all the creatures of the waterway where you are. It is within that feeling of belonging that we find piece of mind and happiness. With that said, take up your rods and reels my friends and go experience the worlds best fishing.

Ard
rickf, alexs and craigthor like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 07-24-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Content correction for reading
Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Worlds Best Fishing & You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I know that the worlds greatest fishing is where you are fishing. Ard
You couldn't be any righter. I've fished a good bit around my beloved state, North Carolina, and I've lusted after trips to Alaska, Colorado, Montana, but when I walk out the back door and down the hill to my home stretch of river I can't imagine being any happier.

Thanks, Ard, for reminding us to love the one you're with.

Sep
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Evey season I catch a few stripers in the 20-25 pound range and sometimes one or two much larger, but my secret fly fishing goal for the last few years has been to catch the state record pumkinseed
A pumkinseed is a smaller member of the sunfish family and the current state record here is 1 lb. 3oz.
No cigar yet, but I'm close
This isn't exactly a Moby Dick () obsession, but I put enough time into it so that I don't often bring up the subject with my angling friends, lest they think I'm off my rocker
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard very well said!

Quote: To take your fly rod and to go to the water allows a person to become intrinsic with the natural world. It is within that feeling of belonging that we find piece of mind. With that said, take up your rods and reels my friends and go experience the worlds best fishing.

Larry
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Ard,you needn't apologize...we do appreciate your great knowledge of fish and fishing and all feel how much you love your land.So thanks again for sharing all this with all of us
This morning I went fishing the "Marguerite"(Daisy)It's not the most beautiful stream I've fished and not the one where I've caught the biggest fish,but I enjoy fishing here,it's MY stream.I haven't met anyone here for years(except once....you'll see that later)I enjoy the quietness and the landscapes,I really feel" that same freedom from life's complexities. My mind goes blank like a clean slate for the coming events to be written on my memory. Maybe you too have this sensation when you are at your favorite water". I've sometimes felt a little contempt and condescension from other flyfishermen when I told them I loved fishing the Daisy but I don't care.It's because there haven't been trout in it for dozens of years.Some years ago JM Batistou and I decided to do something about it,we took my trailer and went to a little fishfarm which produces nice rainbows,we bought some and carried them to the Daisy,we released them in different places.After a few weeks they had all found a good place to live,feeding on flies,nymphs and other young fish.Unfortunately,one day we met a man spending his holidays in the little village nearby,he had taken his fishing pole with him...he decided to fish the Daisy and when he had caught one bow he went on fishing with worms and maggots everyday till he caught them all:sad isn't it?He will never know what the real pleasure of fishing is!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Jean Paul,

Beautiful place, take the water temperature a few times this coming year and determine the average. The Daisy looks more like good water for the Loch Leven subspecies of the brown trout. As the name implies they are suited to slower currents and have proven adaptable in warmer water conditions than the Von Behr or German Brown. This statement is based on my own observations in Pennsylvania.

If you were to introduce browns take them as far from any road access as you can manage. When placing the fish spread them out, one here, one there. Never a dozen in a short stretch.

I conducted float stockings for the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission for years on the delayed harvest waters in North Central PA. and this is how I did it. I constructed three float pens each of which held 300 + or - fish, with two volunteers I would distribute the fish over a one mile sretch of the targeted creek. We spread them over the entire mile, rainbows in the fast water, browns in the slower water and at the undercut banks and downed trees. The excercise was a success and the fishing on the target streams was transformed into a more natural experience for the fishermen. There were no more huge concentrations of fish at the road access points where the truck stocking had taken place prior to my work and the fishing was fairly consistant over the entire stretch.

You are looking at a much smaller scale project but spreading them out and getting away from the road are the keys if you want to allow for any level of success. This may not be legal so your on your own with the project.

Hope this helps

Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice Ard,I've learned something again thanks to you about this species of brown,but I don't think we'll renew this experiment.The only fish we can buy are rainbows and we did it with our little means,we tried to release them as far from the road as we could and as discreetly as possible,the Daisy is a very short little stream maybe 2km long....I think we weren't really lucky....I haven't seen any fishermen on the Daisy since the"butcher's" visit.Funny we did something illegal and I knew it ....but the butcher can legally catch as many trout as he can,no matter the size they are....You have to know we've got the worst fishing federation in France in my region.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 AM

soyavenger is on a distinguished road

there really is no feeling like being alone with the water, sometimes you feel closer to a body of water than you do some of your friends. mine is the santa fe river in florida, which is a tributary of the suwannee. although its mostly spring fed, it starts as a lake, lake santa fe, then goes underground for about 20-30 miles, then resurfaces. after some very shallow, rocky stretches it becomes more or less navigable.

a couple years ago i started at the upstream end with a canoe loaded with camping gear and my tackle, and spent 3 days making my way down the river. at the up stream end, its still more or less a lake, murky and tannic from the tannin seeping from the cypress trees, and barely any current. as you get down stream, you begin to pass springs and the river becomes swifter and clearer.

i wasnt using a fly rod, but i caught more bream and bass on that trip than i ever caught in a single outing. the best part was just being alone with the river, fishing and paddling til an hour or so before dark, setting up camp and reflecting in front of the fire.

id like to take a similar trip here in oregon, but i had about 20 years of experience with that river before taking the trip, and, while there was some rough water, im sure the rivers here will be rougher.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ard, don't worry about what you write. I know when I see one of your posts that it will be a good read, so keep on posting about your adventures in Alaska. It fuels my drive to get there one of these days. My best place to fish is where I am when I am fishing, whether it's a new stream or one I've fished for years.

Dan
Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Some of these topics won't go out of style, so I am giving this message a bump back onto the open forum.

Ard