The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough
Default THINGAMABOBBERS are going to make my bank account dry up! DOH!

Well,

Maybe they are not that bad, but they still make me utter color expletives on a normal occasion. Here's the scoop...

(SHHH, dont tell fish and game) I normally run 2-4 flies at a time, under a strike indicator, soemtimes 5 if Im running a BUSHY stimulator as an indicator. However, on most occasions, I use the Cabelas seirra pop tops, yank that center plastic tube out, and it works like a dream! Lately, over the last season or so, I have made the switch to the thingamabobbers. I love how they cast, how high they float without the added wight of some of the other brands out there.

The small ones are great for those tail water fisheries where unobtrusive presentation is KEY. The larger ones are AWESOME for those plunge pools, boulder fields, and pocket water areas, where I run 2-4 flies. The 1'' T-bobber works AWESOME! Nevertheless, if you get snagged, NO MATTER WHAT, the darned leader breaks right where the t-bobber is afixed to the line. THERE GOES ALL OF THE FLIES, BYE BYE!!!! I know its because the way you have to attach it bends two pieces of the leader at a severe angle and expoentially weakens that point. So, have any of you fellow fly fishermen cam up with a fix? I know it can not be ONLY me who is having this issue... Sure, decrease the distance between the t-boober and flies and a sure fix, but I like my nymphs DREDGING the bottom...

Hoping some can reply with any tips they may have! Would hate to have to go back to my seirra pop tops...

Thanks Guys!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: THINGAMABOBBERS are going to make my bank account dry up! DOH!

I really liked the Thingamabobberoo's until I used them for a while...How do you keep them from sliding down the leader, especially if you try to do any kind of casting, even shorter casts seem to make it slide down the leader. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, let us hear that too.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Ausable,

That prob is easy to fix... When you loop the t-bobber in, make sure the lines are NOT on either side of the "post"...go grab your pack and loop one in, youll see what I mean. Make sure both line are sinched right ont he edge of the ring. Not sure how to explain it any better, but if you rig one up youll see.. If you are infact rigging it correctly, then I am unsure, as I never had a problem of them sliding down... I use maxima leaders, so not sure if that makes a difference or not..
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I make a loop, crease it small enough to fit through the hole, then pass the THB through the loop after I push it through. When I pull the loop tight try to position the leader on the top of the post, not around the sides?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but Ill play around with that and see if it works. I know I'm not the only one who had this problem, because I remember a post about this complaint from someone else.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM

You got it! You want the loop to pull tight at the TOP of the post...NOT along either side of the post...give her a whirl...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM

I'm wondering if our problems are related...I don't see any severe creases or anything in the way that I put them on the leader. It just seems to meander around the post and makes soft bends everywhere. Ill have to get home and try it both ways. I also have never had a problem breaking them off, but I've probably onle spent a handful of days fishing with them.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Simple answer to both problems - use an extra heavy leader butt and a much longer piece of tippet. Connect T-bobber on the heavy leader butt just above the knot connecting the tippet - won't break with heavy leader butt, won't slip due to knot below it. You can substitute a furled leader or twisted leader for the heavy leader butt for better presentation control and flexibility.

Simms - 4 to 5 flies? Sounds like overkill! Is that legal? (e.g. your "don't tell F&G" comment)
Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Bmaster is on it.
Another fix I've mentioned before, is small rubber O-rings slid over the ear on the TBobbers. When you snug the line down, some goes behing the rubber.
No slidy down.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 03-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Brew,

I guess ill have to resort the sierra pop tops when fishing "shallow" water, as I HATE excess "depth" when I dont need it...For deep water, the t-bobber will work great on the butt section of my leader.

Thank you for the tip, man!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Small orthodontic rubber bands. Attach the rubber band as if it was your leader. Now you have a thingama-B attached to the rubber band but not your leader. Pull the rubber band over your leader and run the thing thru the opening as you would normally do when putting one on your leader. The rubber band is holding the thingy to your leader. No line crimp and no slip.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/