The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 09:00 PM

shadow55rider is on a distinguished road
Default Just wanted to say hello

Hi gang,

I have been fly fishing for about 20 years. I had have had periods where I fished alot and some where I almost never fished. I have become serious about lately and have regrouped, reinvested in the time and all new equipment. Basically a fresh new start! I have joined a local casting club, this forum and a couple others. The funny thing is I caught more fish before I became serious, go figure. I guess I'll go back to my instincts where I find and catch fish in the gutter and catch them istead of being the perfect fly fisher person.

Any comments?

Shadow55rider
Sunny Southern California
Old 05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just wanted to say hello

Where in So Cal are you located?
I am up near Santa Barbara.
I started fly fishing a lot of years ago because it was a much more effective way of catching fish. It still is a very effective fish catching method for me but only if I fish often enough (which I do not) to be reasonably proficient at it.
I think you should stick with your current scheme a while longer and see if you do not get some pretty rapid improvement in your catch rates. The new equipment and new techniques plus a long lay off from fishing may just take a little while to overcome.

Where do you like to fish around here and for what fish?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:17 PM

Hi Salmo,

I'm in the Valencia area not too far from Sant Barbara. I fish mainly for trout and small mouth bass. Most of my fishing has been in the Sierras and in San Bernardino Mts. I lived in Lake Arrowhead for 15 years so I fished alot in every stream, pond and lake I could find in the area, Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear, Lake Gregory, Silverwood, Deep Creek Upper & Lower, Willow Creek, Sealy Creek, Little Bear Creek, Blue Jay Creek, Mojave River, Holcomb Creek. It's surprizing just how much water you can find in So Cal.

You are correct in your assement on new equipment and time off. I'm will get back into the hang of it. I have been getting better quality of fish on my last two trips and will continue to fish mainly because I love it.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

From Valencia I would fish Piru creek all the time and the Kern River as often as I could (both above and below the lake).
Also, I think there are a couple of forebays near you that do not allow motorized boats that would be fun for throwing some poppers or large bugs for bass. Have you tried any of these?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 PM

I have fished Piru creek a few times and going on Monday. I have also fished The upper Kern back in Feb. and pcked up some very nice fish. I used to fish Piru 3 or 4 times a year when I had my Bass boat, but haven't gone lately, I'll give it try this summer.