The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hooking up with articulated streamers...

I never really fished much with articulated streamers before last year. One thing I noticed with both Mrs Fysh and I was that it sure seemed like we had a high number of LDR's.
I tried sharpening the hook point and a firmer hookset, but noticed no real difference.

I'm wondering with the removal of the barb, and the hook placement being in the rear of the hook....if the disproportion of flyweight to the actual hook along with the hinging action are a contributing factor to the fly being thrown? or do I just stink at fishing these things?

Anyone else have this issue?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hooking up with articulated streamers...

Hi Fysh,

It sounds like you guys had short strikes and that may be better if you are C&R fishing.............

I am not what you could call a deep pool of knowledge on these type flies but my introduction to them does date back a few years. When I first saw a fly with a trailing hook the trailer was a #12 double. That was 1979 and they were Pike flies. By 1980 I was fishing for Landlock Salmon in Northern Maine and here the flies like this were used for trolling on the big lakes for salmon. The Maine trolling flies had a single hook stashed into the long saddle hackle wings.

I never caught salmon or trout on a stinger type rig but I did catch pike. The best case scenario is that the fish comes speeding up behind the fly and completely engulfs it. Again; best case is that the single lead hook is embedded in the mouth or lip and the trailer is either hooked into the tongue or roof of mouth. I don't think it takes a lot of imagination to figure out what will happen when a rowdy 14 or 15" trout comes after a big articulated streamer and hits it like it done something wrong. My guess is (and I emphasize the word guess) that the guys who fish these exclusively have a lot of fish who are hooked pretty bad. For catching short striking fish this fly has its merits but when a fish runs up on them hard I see a bad day for the fish.

I have been fishing single hook streamers since I tied my first one. The picture below is not the greatest but you'll get the idea. The two flies were tied by a 13 - 14 year old kid with no tying mentor but big ideas. Somehow I knew I wanted to fish with wet flies.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I got better at finishing heads and those two flies survived all the years and all the moves, they are what remains of my roots.

Now getting back on point, the idea of all the flies with stinger hooks is good if you are harvesting fish to eat. As far as a sport catch and release fisherman I have problems with the direction todays anglers are headed. Whatever it takes seems to be the mantra of some today. Get the fish, get the picture, carve your name into the tree no matter what! Use bobbers to float a nymph? String extra hooks behind a fly to hook the heck out of whatever hits it? Whatever it takes to put a fish in your hands right? Is there nothing sacred? I don't need anyone to tell me to go back to fishing with a sapling or to live in a cave either. Yes we have good rods and lines but do you want to retain any aspect of what fly fishing was 50 years ago at all..............

I may be missing something here but what is the difference between a streamer chocked full of hooks and a Mepps Spinning lure when it comes down to outright hooking power? And what prey tell separates the guy floating nymphs beneath an 'Indicator' and the fellow drifting a Red Worm beneath his bobber. Is it that the nymph was 'hand tied'? We are missing something here, something bigger than those fish look when you thrust them into the 28mm lens of those digital cameras. We are losing the very essence of Fly Fishing

Fly fishing used to be what set me apart from the crowd. It announced to all who watched me work those wets that I was taking a different road to Rome. Even though I had not been born into it I was determined to learn what those who had went before me knew; Haig Brown, Wulff, Hewitt, McNally, Leisenring, I wanted to be like them. I wanted more than a fish to hold up and say 'Hey Look' I wanted to understand.

I'm done now, time for my meds

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with ya Brotha!
The articulated streamers I've been throwing are single hook flies. I've had some tandem hook flies, but hooked myself with them too many times so I got rid of them.

Now when I hear/read "short strike" I think of the "pluck, pluck, pluck" when a fish just nips at the fly and never really commits. I'm getting some good hook-ups (I think) and fighting the fish for a minute or two, sometimes just a few seconds and then LDR.
I don't have this problem with non-articulated streamers.....so it got me thinking that maybe the hinging action with the longer body could be causing just enough torque in the hook bend area to cause the barbless hook to backout a bit when the fish goes air borne or does a good head shake.

Like I said, maybe I just stink when it comes to fishing these type of streamers.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Last edited by fysh; 03-16-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Ard

Feel better now? Keeping us all honest, good man!!

Fysh

My problem with the articulated streamers has been the I still get the hook up on the front fly and it seems to aid them in getting off. The double hook gives you a bigger fly. Fish don't hit them from the tail cause of the size, they hit them in the middle just they way they do bigger bait fish. They hit this way to stun then come back and eat head first. They need to do this to prevent injury when swallowing, if they swallow tail first the spines of the fins will damage their gullet. Many times over the years I have caught fish and found the tail of a smaller fish sticking out of their mouth. You should never pull these out by the way cause you will do the same damage to the fish. As a result of this behavior I'm ending up with a lesser hook up. At least that's my experience to date. So far the only solution I've found was to cut off the trailer and keep fishing, got fish to the boat with the shorter version of the pattern that was working!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I kinda let er fly a little there It's a combination of aging and a really long winter. But then I was like this when I was thirty too Comments are not directed at any one here, sometimes I shout at the moon when I'm out at the cabin just to hear a voice.

Ard

Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Lambchop is on a distinguished road

Ard,
Good response. Somewhat mild by the standards that I was used to here in North Central PA, but on point. One must set his or her own limits and try their best to catch what they can within those limits. Nobody can set the limits for you.
Soon, we'll both be able to get back on the proper meds: a rod, a stream, and some fish to try to fool.
Endeavor to persevere.
D2
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Im not a seasoned expert with these things either, but I've caught 10-20 fish on them and have never had an injured fish YET. I can see the possibility, but it never crossed my mind before now. It could be an issue with the big nasty "Triple Dragon" I just posted in another thread. I know Ard wasn't wasn't singling me out, but maybe his howling at the moon was subconsciously spawned by the site of my "Triple Dragon". Sorry to raise your hackles Ard... but for the record, I seldom take a camera because I don't like to keep the fish out of the water that long. I keep most of the pictures stored up in my head for my pleasure only. Of the hundreds of trout I caught last year, I can count on half of one hand the fish pictures I have from last season. Don't lose heart Ard...even the crazy ones who experiment with double articulated streams still yearn for the essence of fly fishing; I'm not there to catch fish...that's just a bonus, I'm there to "take my medicine"
Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Administrator

No worries mate

I hadn't even seen you fly when I went off my tangent. It's a generational thing I believe. I came up in this the hard way and I followed the path of traditions. I had no rest until I could tie a Quill Gordon that I thought even Roy Steenrod would approve of. Ironically the Quill Gordon hatch always happened on many of our north central Pennsylvania streams prior to the opening of the trout season. Most of the year round water did not host the Gordon Then came the challenge of the nymph.........

Anyway, my ranting I hope is harmless and perhaps will serve some empirical purpose in the end eh?

Ard

Old 03-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

In the immortal words of Charley Sheen, "Duh....Winning"

Yea, yea, I know, what the heck does that have to do with this thread? Absolutely nothing, but it's just kinda fun to say it and then laugh.

Ard, your wisdom is always welcome.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I have not given up on them yet. Just bought a batch of nice articulated streamers from bighornflies. Got the area 51 pattern to try out on the South Fork this year. The fish really liked the double screamers last year, just could not keep them on. Maybe I'll get it figured out this season!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures