The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 PM

sonicimpulse is on a distinguished road
Default Need help deciding between 2 waders

I have narrowed down 2 waiders that are in my budget. I'm hoping I did a good job on my research. Now I just need all of you to help me decide between the two or recomened a better pair for the money.

Hodgman Classic A/P Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Waders

http://http://www.kodiakoutback.com/..._campaign=cmp1

Cabela's Guidewear® Dry-Plus® Breathable Chest Waders - Regular

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...005&hasJS=true
Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need help deciding between 2 waders

Heck of a price in the Cabela waders,

I don't own a pair of these but may go get some at that price.

I currenlty have hodgman wadelite breathables that run about $125.00 and they have held up pretty well over the last two years, but I did poke a hole in them busting through some brush one time easily patched.

d
Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sonic,

I like the description of Cabela's wader but the suspenders and the lack of belt loops are not attractive to me. I could not get the other link to work for me, but just saw a pair of Hodgman Guide Light's for $169 at "Sportsman's Warehouse" while in Anchorage. This wader had a nice suspender and welded on belt loops, both are a nice touch associated with a quality wader. Do you have one of these stores near?

I understand wanting to keep costs down but I have been wearing a wader for the past seven years called Wicked Tough Waders. They were sold by LL Bean and I paid somewhere around $375 for them I think. Of course they have been discontinued, guess they were too good. That's my only guess because they are first class, Alaska and I are both very hard on waders. Due to their age I was wanting a pair to hold in reserve and I just purchased a pair of Simms G3 waders that ran me $399. They seem to be as well made as the Wicked Tough Waders and were made in America, in Montana.

My point is if you currently have any waders at all then wait, save your money, and buy the best you can find. Waders that give it up at the seems or are easily punctured will ruin your sport when that failure occurs. I am not wealthy, I simply save, and spend money as effectively as I can. Taken in the scope of seven years of reliable service under rugged conditions, paying $375 for a pair of waders is not bad.

That's how I think when it comes to trying to stay dry when the sport I enjoy requires that I stand in water at various depths for hours at a time.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-15-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-15-2009, 08:26 AM

sonicimpulse is on a distinguished road

I currently do not own a pair of waders and steelhead season is here in North East OH. I'm looking for a decent pair that will keep me warm without branking the bank.

There is a Cabellas about three hours from me in MI. I was going to just order them online. I was also looking at basspro shops but could not find any that looks like they could compete.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Kenny Dee.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

If you intend to fish through the winter and spring you may want to consider neoprene. Breathables won't keep you warm in 30-40 degree water. I fish NE Oh steelhead streams and know how cold it can be. The booties will compress in your wading shoes and your feet will get really cold after standing in the water for a time. The waders themselves also won't insulate you from the cold water. A pair of neoprene, bootfoot waders will be much better at keeping you warm. Cabelas have a few different pairs. I got the waisthighs with 200 gram thinsulate bootfeet.
These would keep you toasty:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...005&id=0044494
Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of those Cabelas waders in bootfoot
4 seasons old, no problems
I don't wear them all the time though, mostly just for beach fishing so they don't see a lot of briars or barbed wire
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicimpulse View Post
I'm looking for a decent pair that will keep me warm...
What's going to keep you warm is the layering that you use underneath. Make sure to have a good synthetic or wool baselayer and midlayer underneath to keep you comfortable in the colder water.

MP
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kenny,

As for ordering online, unless you already have a pair of someones waders and are satisfied with the fit and performance (and are simply replacing existing gear) I would recommend trying them on before buying. Once you get past the issues of durability and performance, nothing beats a good design and fit.

I have used both 4mm neoprene's and light weights steelhead fishing the area of which you speak. Both did the job but then I don't suffer from cold feet as badly as some others do. I would try the waders on first.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:02 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I have a pair of Cabela's breathables that I have been using for the last 4 seasons, and I have had no problems with them. I use them all year long for my fishing adventures. For winter fishing, I layer up with wicking type longjohns and tops for a base layer followed by medium or heavyweight military grade polyfleece over them. My final layer is usually a pair of fleece wading pants with a fleece top, and of course my trusty Radar cap. Wear wading shoes one size larger then you would in the summer and your feet will stay warmer.

Now as far as buying on-line; I would never buy waders like that; you have to try them on before you buy them...My $0.02 worth...

Dan
Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

go with the cabela's waders! no question.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist