The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road
Default deer hair flies.. bored and had to tie...

just a few new flies... i had my tonsils pulled monday so i cant work... and i got bored tonight... i take requests.. if anyone would like to see something .....

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: deer hair flies.. bored and had to tie...

Great Divers, tonsils or not! when do you tie your weed guards in?
hope you're up and around soon,
Gary
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM

i tie the hook end in first.. then tie the fly... trim. and glue... then after its dry i tie the eye side of the weed guards in.. and glue it...

more or less the mono just lays with the tail while you build the fly and trim..
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

nice, thanks for the info; you do a heck of job!
Gary
Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Nice deer hair flies, thanks for sharing

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
nice, thanks for the info; you do a heck of job!
Gary
thanks... believe it or not these are the first spun deer hair flies i have ever tied.. i never did anything with deer hair before... but i like it... i have always done clousers and buggers and baitfish patterns... figured i would play with some deer hair for divers... once you learn to pack the hair well its pretty simple...
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
thanks... believe it or not these are the first spun deer hair flies i have ever tied.. i never did anything with deer hair before... but i like it... i have always done clousers and buggers and baitfish patterns... figured i would play with some deer hair for divers... once you learn to pack the hair well its pretty simple...
I gonna go with "NOT" believing it

That's really good trimming for a first try. Did you use a razor blade or scissors?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Nice flies, what size are they?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM

they are the first... i used scissors... 3 are tied on 4/0 hooks... the white one is on a 5/0 and the green and yellow is a 2/0... all eagle claw 254n hooks... i really like that hook.. strong and very sharp... i use this same hook in all the smaller sizes for most of my warmwater pattens.. i like it way more than the mustad 34007 hooks...

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

for trimming i just took a few chunck out to get the rough shape then fine trimmed them... i started only cutting about 1/4 to 1/3 back into the hair.. then slowly go from there.. just take your time...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

ctious: Great looking deer hair flies, congrats!

Larry