The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Ahhh, the night before a fly fishing trip

I pretty lucking in that I live only about 2 hours from some amazing rivers. Tonight I'm prepping for a trip down a great tailwater in kayaks and I think I have gotten it all together. It's a fun part of a trip, the increase in excitement as you ready the rods, flies and boats. I always tie fresh tippets on my knotted leaders the night before, a little something that just seems to make the day start better. These days I prep wit the aid of my 11 month old Doberman Pinscher, I can't say she makes it easier but she does make it entertaining.

What are your rituals?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ahhh, the night before a fly fishing trip

Hi Russ,

I don't really have a specific ritual anymore. I guess my life in general is spent getting ready to go fishing, When I actually go I always rig my rods and leaders once I reach the spot I intend to fish. Taking time to get everything rigged up gives me a chance to settle in and to calm down. Once my bio rhythms are back on the chart I can take a good look around before I make that cast.

I'm happy for you getting a chance to get out, hope you have a great time of it. Give that pup a scratch behind the ears for me OK,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My ritual? Waiting till the last minute and staying up later than I should.

Good luck tomorrow and be safe.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fyshstykr;225292]My ritual? Waiting till the last minute and staying up later than I should.

Haaaaaa....That is exactly the way I pack, drives my wife insane.

Dave
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Another Ha!
Try guiding.
Everything for three!
Backup clothes, and waders.
Baggies for phones, keepers for glasses, sunblock, flies, and a bunch more.
Most of the time I don't unpack, just take it all.......
But personal ritual begins at the parking lot.
Fleece, waders, boots, pack and rod.
With sanctified vestments adorned, I approach our liquid alter.
A sacred frosty beverage is consumed, and perhaps a burnt offering is given to the four points.
Uttering... Ommmmmm. Or maybe, Ummmm, what bug is it today?

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-17-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

My rituals are getting EVERYTHING lied out on the couch before bed and laying in bed wide awake! But it seems no matter how many times I double, triple check I always forget something!

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

starts with getting everything out on the living room table... rod I want to bring, making sure I even have leaders or tippet, then checking the flies. Stop checking the flies and chase the two year old pitt bull with a fly in his mouth hoping it wasn't a nice nymph and I don't have to pull it out of him when I catch him. He love fluffy woolies for some reason, I dunno. Pack it all in the trunk. Next day is usually drive 15 mon and turn around because I forgot something like my fly box or my best friend asleep on the couch.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
My ritual? Waiting till the last minute and staying up later than I should.

Good luck tomorrow and be safe.
Fysh: That pretty much sums up my ritual also!

Larry

Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

...... don't forget to drink too much so you look and feel your best !
Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Sometime around 10 pm I realize that I absolute must have a dozen flies of some pattern or another that I had previously overlooked. I become absolutely certain that without those flies tomorrow's trip will be a failure. So, its back to the vise for some last minute tying, then to bed later than I planned but satisfied that I'll be well prepared.