The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default left over backing?

what do you do with your left over backing?

ARFE
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: left over backing?

sorry, that was a little vague. the question should read, "what do you do with the backing left over after putting it onto your reel?" say you need 75 yds and you have a hundred yard spool. the extra 25 should be good for something. anyone?

casey

ARFE
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sighters for Czech nymphing rigs

Leader bodies for pocket water nymphing

Base wraps over reel arbors to be spliced onto superbraid backing

Articulation connection for articulated flies

Home projects that need string
Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

For light tackle reels (3 - 6 weights I have no problem with using blood knots to connect backing scraps to fill an arbor. Been getting away with it since I discovered backing circa 1978 and never had a knot break. Rule of thumb; when you see the backing go through the stripper it is time to put on the Kid Gloves With a light tippet you have had the gloves on since you hooked the fish so........................No worries mate,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Knot practice.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a 2 foot piece of backing and tie a knot to make a loop. I then sell these to the kids coming out of grade school, for $1.00 they get the loop and I teach them how to tie Jacobs Ladder.

PS: Works best on Mondays...That's when the kids carry lunch money!

Dave
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with fyshstykr, I've used my extra backing to learn to tie the more difficult knots.

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Shoe laces. or anything else that might need string.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 AM

vivid2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Shoe laces. or anything else that might need string.
shoes laces???
Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid2012 View Post
shoes laces???
Of course, it matches my fly line belt.

(j/k I don't use them for shoe laces or a belt. Yet.)
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog