The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 PM

humpy is on a distinguished road
Question sage vs burkheimer spey rods

I am considering buying a new spey rod , 8wt , and have narrowed down the choice to the Sage Z=Axis 8134-4 or the C F Burkheimer 8134-4. I would appreciate some opinions from members as to the relative merits of these two rods, to help me make up my mind. Thanks, Humpy.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sage vs burkheimer spey rods

Can't make a comment on the Burkie. Never fished one.

I demoed a Z-Axis 8134-4. It casts a line very well. I was comfortable casting a 500 grain Rio Skagit. It bent the rod plenty far enough to cast some #2 Starlight Leeches. Pulling a type 8 head out of the water was rather easy with this rod. It's hard to comment on the fish fighting backbone since the biggest fish that I caught was an 18" wild Rainbow.

One of my friends prefers this rod with a 550 grain Rio Skagit. He prefers his rods to bend all the way down to the handle.

MP
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hate to suggest a pass-off, but you'll likely get more good info on such a spey specific question on the speypages.com board.

I'll say this, between those two rods the biggest difference lies in the companies themselves and the customer they're after. Its like deciding between buying a great over/under from Beretta/Browning compared to that smaller shop up in _____ that makes the really cool unique stuff that's extremely functional but also different than the mass produced stuff out there. I can't comment on the specific performance of the rods, but from a marketing perspective, they're worlds apart.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at Meiser rods? I have a Meiser and think it may be as close to perfect as perfect gets. Bob Meiser designs rods for three of the major US makers, a Scottish one and a Japanese one, that I know about. I think Sage may even be one of them. I know Rainshadow and TFO are. He invented the switch rod and the term "Grain window" started in his shop to. My next rod will be a Meiser, and the one after that and the one .......