The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM

gkrdesign is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing watercraft design

Cheers for the replys.

@Frank, thanks for showing me those craft, there really are a whole lot i missed

@mcnerney, mojo, yeah i was told on another forum to look at dave scadden's boats

Do you guys know much about the waterstrider series?

I have set up a survey now to make it easier to answer the questions i had set out above, there are only 8 questions, 5 of which are multi choice. So if you're keen to look at it and fill it out that'd help heaps too.

Fly Fishing Watercraft Design - Survey powered by eSurveysPro.com

Again thanks for your help,

Gordon
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrdesign View Post
Cheers for the replys.

@Frank, thanks for showing me those craft, there really are a whole lot i missed

@mcnerney, mojo, yeah i was told on another forum to look at dave scadden's boats

Do you guys know much about the waterstrider series?

Again thanks for your help,

Gordon
Gordon: I don't have any experience with the waterstrider series, but I have seen them used a couple times on fly fishing shows. They look pretty good, I have no idea on the quality, but if I was looking at something like that I think I would prefer the Dave Scadden Assault model. The reason is that on Dave's Assault model he has rockered both ends of the boat which IMHO would give the boat more maneuverability and it is rated for running rapids and Dave's boats are built to withstand a real beating and he has a superb reputation as far as repairs are concerned. Here is a YouTube video showing how maneuverable the Assault is on a river with rapids:

Larry

Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A buddy of mine used one of these on a float we did last summer, and they're pretty damn slick-

Why the Water Master?

But they're pricey.

A $400 version of that thing would sell like crazy.

I know it wouldn't be near the quality or durability of the original, but it would sure sell well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I have never used a raft design that was worth a hoot that didn't have rocker built in like the Outlaw Assault. I think the Watercraft and Water Master are poor designs for river fishing.

I am not a fan of these frame-less designs for river fishing. But, that is just an opinion of some one who has not tried an Outlaw Escape or Renegade design. It looks like the foot rest and oar lock holders are glued to the pontoon. This could be a weakness over time. I had a 10' Avon raft with an inflatable floor and just didn't like all of the flexing and mushiness of the design. Most of these frame-less rafts, including the Outlaw Assault, have too short of oars and the oar position is not adjustable.

The Outlaw Assault has good high flotation and should be very responsive to the right sized oars. Probably a fun boat but no storage to speak of unless you built a platform on the back. I did like the neat trick using the saddle bags to hold the two rods on the Outlaw Assault video.

Frank
Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: I agree the oars look too short and I think that is the main reason most folks upgrade to better oars.

Larry

Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Diver Dan, how about something like this Gheenoe at speed!

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is one that one fill the bill at a heck of a lower price than the Skeeter.

Or this!

Frank
Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Frank: I agree the oars look too short and I think that is the main reason most folks upgrade to better oars.

Larry
The reason for the short oars is...............
Portability. You take them on a plane and it'll all fit in a 36" roller duffel.
Frank, the oar locks that NFO uses isn't new. They've been around for a few years. With the boat pumped up to 3 psi, the boat is quite rigid. The Scadden frameless boats are light enough you're not fighting to row them. With the rockers designed the way, they are at home on the river.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Hi Mojo,

The short oars make sense for flying but I think the majority of the boats sold never see an airplane. The short oars are not just a problem with Scadden's boats. I think all of the pontoon style makers include short oars because they are cheaper and most buyers will upgrade for river use.

These new Scadden's would be great for packing in on horse or foot.

Frank
Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Drift boats seem to be the craft of choice here... mainly because jets can only go on a few local rivers. I'd personally love a small sled for steelheading, but you can't really use it on any of the good trout rivers other than the rogue.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Mojo,

The short oars make sense for flying but I think the majority of the boats sold never see an airplane. The short oars are not just a problem with Scadden's boats. I think all of the pontoon style makers include short oars because they are cheaper and most buyers will upgrade for river use.

These new Scadden's would be great for packing in on horse or foot.

Frank
Frank, on our X5's we had the stock oars-Carlisles. Then we got the Scadden Sawyer oars. Much better. But I think it's the width if the blades that really makes the difference.