The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default new subforum thought....

I am wanting to learn more about fishing with the Spey Rod and was thinking where this is now more of an 'International Forum' with headquarters in the U.K. that our brothers and sisters across the pond would be a great place to gain information about Spey. Is there any possibility of getting a 'Spey Forum'?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new subforum thought....

Not a bad idea. Only issue could be traffic since there are only a handful who I know use Spey and switch rods regularly in the forum.

MP
Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I agree that we should have a Spey forum. I will add one soon. Mosca is right that the traffic may be low. That is alright, it will grow.

Once we get our login moved in with the other Fish&Fly sites, we will have access to many Spey fishers from Europe and Scandinavia. Of course we do have a bunch from the Northwest.

Frank
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Frank. I'll be looking for it.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great suggestion Fysh...I am interested in getting started in Spey rods...but don't tell my Wife...lol

Dan
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Great suggestion Fysh...I am interested in getting started in Spey rods...but don't tell my Wife...lol

Dan
Dan,
Get ready for another addiction. Once you start fishing open water with a Spey rod, it's hard to go back to a single hander.

Truth be told, I don't fire out the big distances as much with my two handers. I get stuck fishing lots of prime runs that I don't have any backcasting room.

You are going to enjoy your future addiction.

MP
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

Dan
Glad I'm not the only looking in that direction. I've been thinking about wrapping my own, cannot be that much different than a single hand rod.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I'm stoked about a spey room. I've started learning how to from my brother and it's pretty fun. Can't wait to learn more.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
I'm stoked about a spey room. I've started learning how to from my brother and it's pretty fun. Can't wait to learn more.
Hi Pack,
A lot of people think of Spey and switch rods as rods for big rivers. In your neck of the woods, some are going Spey and switch for Pyramid Lake. In the recent edition of Sierra Fisherman (page 26), there is an article on fishing switch rods on the Truckee. Fall of last year, I started using my 6 weight switch rod as my Truckee River rod.

And of course if you decide to come into the Sacramento Valley, you gotta have a two hander in your Steelhead quiver.

MP
Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who said you are thinking of getting a spey rod....

This is the first summer I have spey cast. I love it. I have hardly used a single hand rod since I started it. Getting a spey rod was the best idea I have had in a long time. I did it because I started catching big Walleye in the river, but the banks are close and steep. The river gets deep really fast so waders don't get you much more casting room. With a spey rod I can get 10' into the river, put a cast over 100' out and never have the fly pass back over the bank. (unless I blow my anchor) I can use a much longer leader which allows me to fish deeper more easily. If you have big water, this is really the way to go. You will not regret it. And you should see the fish I have been catching!