The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Shoulder Bags and Slings

Judging by the number of threads I have seen on this and other boards, I am not the only one looking for the solution to what is the best pack, vest, backpack or bag, etc... I have not seen many mentions of what I am going to call shoulder bags. Examples of these would be the Recycled Waders Messenger Creel (http://www.recycledwaders.com/pages/...tpopup_messeng...) ; William Joseph Old School Satchel (http://www.williamjoseph.net/product_details.php); Orvis Safe Passage Field Bag (http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9K4Y) or Chapman Troutbeck Bags (http://www.chapmanbags.com/ChapmanBa...sp?prod=NTF&ct...). These type of bags look interesting to me and look like they would potentially make a good choice on hot days when bank fishing at a pond and times when you are not venturing too far from the car or boat. Anyone using one of these type bags? What are your thoughts and/or experiences?

Another category I haven't seen much mention of is the sling pack. Examples of this would be the Orvis Sling Pack (http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...p_id=781&cat_i...) ; William Joseph Satchel (http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly...tid=25643&sour...) ; William Joseph Equinox (http://www.riverbum.com/Vests-Packs/...CMXb9OWX1J0CFS...) or the Recycled Waders Sling (http://www.recycledwaders.com/pages/...opup_sling.asp). My experience with sling packs in general (non-fishing specific) has been mostly positive. Does anyone use one of these type of bags? Thoughts and/or experiences. I am particularly interested in any experiences with either the WJ Satchel or Recycled Waders Sling.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shoulder Bags and Slings

I think you are right. If you are stillwater fishing it would be okay, using a satchel/shoulder bag. What I found when fishing on the river was I tended to put it down, move around alot out of necessity and eventually find I am 100 yards away from where I left it.
I am working out what I want to use myself. A few of the places I go are hot and remote so a hydration bladder is useful, but I really hate stuff sticking out infront of me so I am leaning towards a fly fishing backpack. That being said, it certainly is a choice that is dependent on your style of fishing and the places you fish.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I keep the tackle that I use to fish for river smallmouth in a shoulder bag
This is a type of fishing I do during the heat of the summer when a vest would be too hot.
I can't say it's the best way to go, but I do it anyway
The strap tends to bite into my neck and the bag bounces around too much.
I don't have a fancy bag like those in the links, but rather I use a Swiss Army surplus gas mask bag.
Mine's original, but they make reproductions and I've found that they're actually pretty popular with area surfcasters

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have the orvis sling pack and love it. It works great in the yak and it is the only thing i found that works well with a stripping basket. It is not huge but hold everything i use.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I use shoulder bags for most of my fishing whether its wading the flats or walking the jettys.The name brand bags tend to be expensive with too many pockets for me.Take a trip to any surplus store and you will find gas mask bags like Rip Tide has as well as many other options.I also use a fannypack that can be slung over my shoulder when wading.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 AM

DickM. is on a distinguished road

txbevo .........
I have two of the original William Joseph Satchels. One tan one set up for freshwater, (streams & ponds), and a blue one set up for saltwater flats fishing.
I like them both as they stay out of the way, (on your back), till you need them and will carry all you will need while still keeping you cool in the summer time.
A buddy of mine got the new style William Joseph Equinox Satchel and we both agree that it is not as handy as the old style as there are two bags and one is always on your chest and can be in your line of sight while looking where you are walking.
I have just acquired a William Joseph Old School Satchel over this past summer.
This bag will carry MUCH more than the older Satchels. It still will stay out of the way as you can slide it to your back hip and seems to be perfect for an all day affair. The magnetic closure on the flap is a nice touch also.
Hope this helps,
DickM
Old 10-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi txbevo,

Your two top links didn't work for me.

When I was fishing Lee's Ferry a lot I fished with a guide that used a bag like the Orvis Safe Passage but much smaller. It was real handy for a guide who was not fishing. I liked it enough that I thought about getting one. The trouble I have with the Safe Passage Bag is the measurements. It is 14"W and 12"H. That is much bigger than I would want. Something about 6" or 7" wide would be a better choice for me and not much taller. If you get it too big it will eventually be too heavy and be in the Way.

I checked out an Orvis Sling Bag in the store before I got a small chest pack. If you choose a sling bag I would get one with a single bag. Not one with a front and back bag. The advantage of the sling bag is when you are not using it, you can slide it around to the back side. For some reason I didn't like the way it hung on me. You might like it a lot better. You just have to try them out before buying.

We have a member who is using a sling bag and they like it. It might have been mcnery.

Good luck with your search.

Frank

Orvis Safe Passage Bag
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:15 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pro...=shoulder+bags
A lot of guys on the Fiberglass fly rod forum use these. I personally would like to get the bio hazard bag. Not a lot of people would fish that close to you with that bag in plain sight.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tex,

Old school, old school, but it works for me, I have been using a C.C. Filson Shelter Cloth strap vest with a little back pack in the design. It carries more than I need and is easy to carry. I like the old style oil cloth because by the time you have been using it for ten years they achieve a look that says, 'I've been around', maybe take a look at them.

Ard
Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ard,

I guess you are back from another trip. Did you find any trout?

I never liked oil skin due to the oder when it got wet.

Frank