The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Need a line for steel head

Totally new to steel head fishing. What is the bread and butter steal head line for river fishing? BTW, its for a 6 weight.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Need a line for steel head

Hi Cool Hand,

If you are looking for a Steelhead line the two made by Rio or SA work great. A long head with a long back taper. Makes for good mending. The SA Sharkskin Steelhead may be a very good choice for a floating line.

Then if it was me I would also have an integrated sink tip line. There are times the sink tip is needed. If you don't mind 24' of sinking line, the Jim Tenny lines are well liked in the North West. I always preferred the shorter sing tips. Don't buy a short piece of sink line and add it to you floating line. That is the worse casting contraption they ever came up with.

Frank
Old 10-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Cool,

Frank offers good advise on this. I tend to simplify with a DT floating line and weight the fly if needed. If you are going to be fishing deep slow water then consider Franks' suggestion of the sinking line. If fishing more shallow (2 - 4') depths then a DT will get it done they mend well and you can heave a 3/0 salmon fly on them if you want.

Someday I hope to come into the 21'st century regarding lines but I find that by the time I am using enough weight to get the fly to the fish it doesnt matter what the heck I'm using, Sharkskin or Bargain Bin. But then that's me. There will be other responses that will more critically examine the fine points of your question. My answer is simply to give you a fail-safe in case you are still confused after all the votes are in.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-25-2009, 12:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Frank's information is spot on. Long belly floating lines are mandatory when fishing the top with skating flies or nymphing down deep. Sink tips become necessary when swing flies through deeper runs. Sinking leaders make for a quick fix, but they can be funky to cast.

Here are some product notes for 2010.
Rio discontinued the Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead line in the WF6F.
Rio discontinued its Nymph Taper line.
Rio has a new nymph line called the Indicator line. It is uplined up to a full line weight to help flip over hardware (nymphs, weight, indos).

Enjoy your Steelhead season!

MP