The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Bead Head for size 24 midge (zebra midge)

Hello,
Recently I find that size 24 works better at an area that I have been fishing. I have searched the web for the right size of the bead head for the small midge such as size 24. But I discovered that the smallest bead head is about 1/16 which works for hook size 22. My concern is that if I put 1/16 on size 24 hook, the bead head will overpower the overall shape of the fly. My question is whether it is OK to use 1/16? Or if any of you know that I can order a smaller bead head than 1/16, please let me know. Or should I just use a thread to make thorax?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:00 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bead Head for size 24 midge (zebra midge)

For that small I usually defer to using the smallest size glass seed bead. For a Zebra I would use a clear bead. I buy mine that small at the craft store.

Kelly.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

TTB, the issue for me is reducing the gape of the hook.
Less hooking possibility.
Unless you have a long shank #24.
We have bead shops here.
There are some very-small pricey beads.
Shop around a bit more.
It is kinda hard to tie a sparse fly with a huge head.
I have some weighted 1/32nd silver beads. They're routed out to clear the bend too.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-19-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I have some weighted 1/32nd silvers beads. They're routed out to clear the bend too.
Jim where did you find those 1/32nd weighted silver beads? Were they from a bead shop. We have a Joanns in Elk Grove, but the small silver ones I found there were plastic, so I've been using glass beads like Kelly mentioned.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

1.5 mm works on the dinky midges we use around here.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Size 24 on a scud and a dry with a Micro glass bead
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
1.5 mm works on the dinky midges we use around here.
I think this equates to a 1/16", which is the smallest I've been able to find. Some vendors size them as "Midge" size; others as "XSM", but although they don't tell you the measured size, they look the same as 1/16". I too tie mainly nymphs in # 22-28.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Tom, I will try to find out about the 1.5mm or 1/32 size. They weren't from a bead store. Our fly shop closed so I'll have to ask around.

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-18-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thanks Jim...I've actually found some on Ebay just a couple minutes ago.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Bead Head for size 24 midge (zebra midge)

Okay, I'm confused. Do 1/32"-drilled beads exist or not, and if so, where can they be bought (incidentally, 1.5 mm-drilled beads equate to 1/16", not 1/32")?