The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM

j43jacko will become famous soon enough
Default Hackle chickens?

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you guys on here know anything about which common breed of chicken are good hackle producers? I am mainly looking to tie dry flies with them, and possibly some wet flys. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hackle chickens?

You may find some feathers to tie some wets and sedge wings....just advised my friend Larry to breed some limousin chicks

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

don't think you can tie dries....
Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I didn't read the entire forum, but there are some farmers, and some tyers on this forum talking about raising the genetic super-hackle chickens. A brief scan of the first page said something about hatching eggs costing $55/doz!!!

BackYardChickens Forum / Genetic Hackle; AKA "Fly Tying Chickens" Info for the interested.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the fly tyer's special from McMurry's, but your neighbors are going to hate you.
Roosters make a lot of noise.

Murray McMurray Hatchery - Fly Tyer's Special
Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a thread on the Limousin roosters that JP posted awhile back. He sent me a few feather samples, but so far I haven't had the nerve to tie them up. The natural shine on the feather is just unbelievable.
Limousin roosters

Larry

Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a famous french hatcheryhttp://www.moucheguyplas.com/notre-savoir-faire_4.html....they never kill roosters only pick feathers from time to time...the older the roosters get...the better the hackles are.
here's a pic of one of my friend JM's roosters.
Early Season Dry fly Swap)
Old 03-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used to have a poultry business in the 1980's and kept a few roosters. (Right, a few ) The Indian Game Cocks (also known as Banty Roosters) were good for streamer hackles and also large dry flies. The domestic Plymouth Barred Rock roosters made very good straemer hackles and I still have a few capes from those days.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by j43jacko View Post
Hey,

I was wondering if any of you guys on here know anything about which common breed of chicken are good hackle producers? I am mainly looking to tie dry flies with them, and possibly some wet flys. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
You can tie Flies,especially dries from any good quality Rooster(Cock Bird)hackles.
Years ago friends also kept them for Flytying,an old friend's Rooster looked like a Vulture as he would catch it & pluck its neck.
The older the Rooster the better the Feathers,however as Riptide has said they are very noisey,territorial & will sometimes attack you.
Over many years I have found Bantems(Indian Game),Rhode Isle & Red,Plymouth Barred Rock,English Game,breeds to be good plus any good old Roosters.
Check the $2 shops for the Feather Dusters which are made in China,I have a few with all different natural colours,the feathers are quite good & tie great flies.
I'll also have to check out the Limousin Breed.
Brian.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:41 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

All my roosters bear hideous gaps in their necks where I snipped off hackles for myself and to share with my friends. Going to second Murray McMurray. I have never bought their fly-tyer assortment. But I have gotten many chickens over the years for other purposes and they do sell good quality chickens.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The following link discusses the history of Whiting Farms. It also discusses the various chicken breeds use. It is a good read.

Whiting

MP