The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Furled Leaders?

Anybody use furled leaders?

I have been trying them this year and think they turn my fly over better than a regular leader.

Is it my imagination or are they really better?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furled Leaders?

I agree!
Here is a previous thread that might be worth reading:
Furl Girl Leaders

Larry
Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 AM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the link - I'll keep using these and try some different brands. I used Blue Sky and Quigley so far. Both are good, and I prefer Quigley as the leader is softer.

Now that I know about Joni, I'll have to try some of those in the spring
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Absolutely!!!! I will use nothing else, with the possible exception of nymphing, which I don't do much of. I HATED playing around with the tapered leaders out of the bag/wallet...having to untangle it everytime was a *******. Earlier this year, I watched a buddy of mine loose his mind on the water when he changed leaders, so I walked over and just gave him one of my 4-5wt. furled jobs. I stretched it for him and tied a quick perfection loop in the tippet for him. He's a convert.

The great thing is that they will last more than a whole season.

There is a guy who makes and sells them on Ebay for about 6 bucks for two (2). They are Mono.

I paid $15.00 for a Flouro with a ring for my streamer rig. Worked out real well when I was out a few weeks ago.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

6 bucks for two leaders? Yeoza! For 6 bucks you can buy the wood to make a furling board, AND 2 spools of 6/0 uni thread ... and furl probably 2 DOZEN leaders! For 15 bucks you can get a DVD from Kathy Scott and learn how to make them.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Understood, but I don't have the time to mess with that. I wish I did.

Four kids keep me moving.....

I look at it this way:

The absolute cheapest tapered leaders I could find were something like $2.49 each.

So, right away, you're close to $6 for something that MIGHT last an outing or two. For the same money, I get two (2) leaders that will last the entire season. If you really calculated the value of your time, which is damn near impossible, but still possible, the effort it would take me to make my own leaders for as much as I fish would be more than getting two (2) for $6. At that rate, I'll pay for the convenience.

If I were a guide, or just fished more than I do, I'd go that route.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

My time is my most precious commodity.
Once learned, a furled leader can be turned out (furled out?) in around 5 minutes. And that includes a tippet ring and shorb loop on the butt end. It would take me longer to drive to a fly shop, purchase leaders, and drive home, than to furl a dozen leaders.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 AM

Again, I see your point. I'd love to learn how. At some point.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
My time is my most precious commodity.
Once learned, a furled leader can be turned out (furled out?) in around 5 minutes. And that includes a tippet ring and shorb loop on the butt end. It would take me longer to drive to a fly shop, purchase leaders, and drive home, than to furl a dozen leaders.
HEAY! Selling them here! ;-)
But I charge $6. for any weight/length and $9. for sinking.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM

Was waiting on that....