The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: adding loop to fly line?

I had an old tube of Shoe Goo that got holed and semi dried up. It was perfect for sealing and smoothing knots after whipping a loop. As said above, roll it twixt the fingers to get the right shape and let it dry. Nowadays. I use Aquaseal instead. I think it's absorbed into the thread better and it stays more flexible longer.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't find any Goop locally, so I bought Loctite's equivalent. It's held up
great so far (hook a LOT of trees this afternoon with a 3X tippet ).
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FrankB2,

Is the Loctite flexible after it dries?

Frank
Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank,
I went to Lowes, and they had several types of Loctite. I bought the Fabric,
Vinyl, Plastic adhesive. It's clear, waterproof, and flexible. When I compared
the various Loctite adhesives of this type, some were "semi-flexible" (the plumbing version for example). The label says 30 minutes to dry and 24 hrs
to cure, but I found that Rip Tides method of rolling/rubbing it in with fingers
left it dry to the touch at the end of the procedure. It contains MEK, so I used latex gloves. I've played with that stuff too much already with bare skin.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM

John Gray will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I am a member of the UK based version of this forum, the Fly Fishing Forums. While browsing your forum topics for a change of scenery, I spotted this query. You may be interested in an alternative, very simple method of adding a monofilament loop to the end of a fly line. I never liked braided loops and tried various options until I settled on the following method of attaching a loop of monofilamnent to the end of a fly line by a simple knot, as shown below:

Click the image to open in full size.

The resulting loop is fine, strong and durable It allows the finest loop-to-loop connection I know, resulting in a minimum of surface disturbance.

For full illustrated instructions on tying the loop, see:

Gray's Loop

www.trout-salmon-fishing.com
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 PM

auntie_em is on a distinguished road

Most interesting!! Thank you!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 PM

I love that Gray's Loop! I've used needle nail knots with a perfection loop,
Dave Whitlock's CA monofilament leader method, but the Gray's Loop looks
the best if monofilament is to be used.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gray View Post
Hi,

I am a member of the UK based version of this forum, the Fly Fishing Forums. While browsing your forum topics for a change of scenery, I spotted this query. You may be interested in an alternative, very simple method of adding a monofilament loop to the end of a fly line. I never liked braided loops and tried various options until I settled on the following method of attaching a loop of monofilamnent to the end of a fly line by a simple knot, as shown below:

The resulting loop is fine, strong and durable It allows the finest loop-to-loop connection I know, resulting in a minimum of surface disturbance.

For full illustrated instructions on tying the loop, see:

Gray's Loop
Very interesting post ....should visit us more often
Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 AM

John Gray will become famous soon enough

Thanks jbbfly, I have added this forum to my favourites. It's good to get a new perspective on the world of fishing.

www.trout-salmon-fishing.com
Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Wow, interesting loops, the other day I had an issue with the store tied loop, so I cut it off, tied in a nice tight perfection loop in the fly line, and looped my 6 foot furled leader to it. Seemed to be the easiest way to make the connection and I have not had any issues with the connection or the flyline taking on water. Maybe I should put some aqua seal on it, but like I said, I did not have any issues on the water with the loop catching of the line sinking.

Just another way I guess.

Dave