The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

@Chefdg... Like to see the small cars being repped!...

I have a 2000 Ply Neon that does the job... Get around 35mpg on the hwy which is not horirible.. Can often get 2 weeks out of a full tank... But it also helps that warmwater is a stones throw away and trout waters are within 15min... Can fit a 9' rod assembled in the car and that's all that matters... My neon has probably been down some roads that only other neon drivers dreamed about but weren't crazy enough to try
Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

300k for a Ford???? Really????

For the first time in my life, i am almost speechless...

Now this is a MONSTER, at a fraction of the cost.

G63 AMG Luxury SUV, Off Roading, All-Wheel Drive | Mercedes-Benz
Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

My Cherokee XJ, 14mpg, not enough room for anything, assembled rods have to go in the ski rack on the roof. Probably the most impractical fishing vehicle I've ever owned. Oh wait, taking the hard route to my fishing spots is so much fun I sometimes forget to fish
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
My Cherokee XJ, 14mpg, not enough room for anything, assembled rods have to go in the ski rack on the roof. Probably the most impractical fishing vehicle I've ever owned. Oh wait, taking the hard route to my fishing spots is so much fun I sometimes forget to fish
I can only dream of 14 mpg with the GMC 3/4 ton truck! I use that when hauling the drift boat, anything else I'm in the Subaru Outback enjoying the 29 mpg!!!!
swirlchaser likes this.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I can only dream of 14 mpg with the GMC 3/4 ton truck! I use that when hauling the drift boat, anything else I'm in the Subaru Outback enjoying the 29 mpg!!!!
I have VW Golf that I'm supposed to use around town but I always seem to find a reason to take the Jeep.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

My new fishing vehicle. Pretty practical for an SUV at about 25 mpg average.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

First fishing vehicle: 1987 Chevy Z28. couldn't fit a rod in it without bending the heck out of it, crappy mileage, couldn't put any gear in it.

Second fishing vehicle: Mazda Navajo. Still couldn't get much gear in it, but at least it could go off road some.

Third: Isuzu Rodeo. More gear, slightly more off road capability, better mileage.

Fourth: 1997 Toyota 4Runner. I'd still have this thing if my brother hadn't talked me into selling it to him. This was go anywhere, anytime with utter confidence. Mileage sucked, but there was nothing it couldn't tackle.

Fifth: Honda Pilot. Carried a ton of gear, great mileage, and actually handled a lot of sketchy roads that I wouldn't have believed possible. Also, handled paved roads like a sports car.

Sixth: 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road. This thing is the best off road vehicle I've ever owned, and the best I've ever seen with my own eyes. Trails that have stopped my buddies' trucks/4x4s, the TRD has not only negotiated, but fairly danced down the trail without hesitation. The only vehicle I think comes close in my experience would be the 4Runner. And I'm pretty sure the TRD would handle more extreme trails by a little bit. The only downside to this thing is that I spend a fair amount of time hauling my buddies out of trouble, and normal humans can't sit in the back seat. Leg-less midgets would have claustrophobia back there.

Without a doubt, the Taco gets the nod for best fishing vehicle. Decent mileage, carry everything, and go anywhere, and I mean anywhere, at speed. And when you get there, just roll out your sleeping pad and camp out in the bed.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Over many years I have owned Hired & borrowed many Vehicles for Private use
Like Ard Ranging from 2 Wheeled Motor Bikes Many different types of Boats A Mate's Ex WW2 Willy's Jeep as well as my own & other Mate's 4X4s many 2 Wheel Drive Sedans & Station Wagons also Hired RV's.
However The best all round means of Transport without a doubt in Alaska are The Alaskan Float Planes.
Like many others I have also Hiked in to many remote Places.
Brian.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default "Big Whitey"

great thread...I have had a love affair with things that go zoom zoom for a very long time...my favorites have always been older chevrolets...I have has several, but a few years back found this gem tucked away in Colorado barn...just begging me to give it another life.

I just sprayed my truck in the driveway last weekend...something I have been working on for a while.I drive my '67 everyday for my carpentry jobs...its "old school ", just like me! more peolpe know my truck and my yellow lab than know me...

the big joke is if you see a line of cars and trucks parked in front of our place one morning, I must have died and everyone wants to buy my truck from my wife...LOL...

...I also have been working on a slide in camper for it. Originally it had an old "Mitchell" on it but was sold...so I tried to make something myself that looked like it came from 1966 too......everything is finally done on the camper except the gel coat & final paint...maybe next weekend.

1967 CST K-20 4 WD Chevrolet ...327/275 V-8 4 spd....the real deal...

I am still working on switching the interior color to tan/white...

I installed air shocks all artound, plus have the bags under the rear to make for a nice ride...the old 3/4 ton trucks were not exactly made for luxury...

the truck has the old style wooden bed...I keep on top of it to keep it looking nice and strong for hauling too...this truck was built in California in '66...some factories used metal beds...others wood...its a throw back from the days of the old wagons...Colorado weather has been kind to this vehicle...initially it was only used by a family for their camping trips and stored out of the weather...and usesd occasionally...a recipe for a long life...I have had several old chevys...but a 67 was my hearts desire...and finally got a chance to get this one...I saw it driving to my work in Co...and pestered the new owner until he finally caved in...LOL...I am the third owner...and have all the originakll docs , receipts and even the original shop manual...which is cool since I can actually work on the truck myself!

looking into some chrome to break up the white a bit...there are parts galore for the old classic chevys...everything from bump to bump...easier to get than parts for my other truck a toyota tacoma...and cheaper too...

327 cubic inches of engineered perfection...

and here is the slide in I built with leftovers from some cabinet and trim jobs...all that is left is the gel coat on the fiberglass shell...I will paint it with the same poly enamel I painted the truck with once I am done...

the interior...just some pine cupboards and paneling...plus a skylight to see good tying flies ...

the aspen is from logs harvested on the ranch from the abundant beetle kill...the jaw bone is from an 1800 lb buff from the ranch...handles and some other fittings are from Elk antlers...

oh yeah...its paid for!...and even with a load it gets 12mpg...not so great...but is not only wheels, but its a house too!my next project is a 16 foot drift boat to pull behind these two...

if you see this rig on the water come say hi...we can swap a few flies and eat a sandwich...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 06-08-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
My new fishing vehicle. Pretty practical for an SUV at about 25 mpg average.

that would look better with a drift boat being towed behind it