The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

I have a Grand Vitara which is real close to the Liberty. I admit I can get to remote places but the packing room is limited.
Okay for rivers, but for three people only. With waders, boots, and gear. Then you better hope it is a four piece rod LOL.

It is mine and I like it, but not the best for my clients.
The windshield wipers hold the rods well though....
Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use a Astro Van set up for off road, you can put a 9' rod in a rack inside no problem, place for sleeping,heat,stove,frig, tying area, even had a shower when i ran the beach alot. 4 rods inside fully assembeled. plus 8 rods on top incuding some big Alvey reels on rods. oh yeah, 4 batterys, 2 solar panels, went any where with the lift kit..
Click the image to open in full size.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The machines that got me to the most far flung places have all had two wheels. From Newfoundland to B.C. and too many states to mention. Having a good tent and the right bag have mattered a lot too. One year I took a fishing trip and came home 10,770 miles and six weeks later. I could not afford to do that in my Chevy Silverado now or then. I always carried two rod tubes and all the gear I needed.

Yeah I know, what about rain? I had more fun on the two wheelers because of the 'I can park anywhere' aspect, the views, the ability to ride a path or rail line along a river, and the worst one I ever had gave me 48 mpg. What's not to love about that?

I have used every vehicle I ever owned for fishing including my bicycle when I was a kid. I don't know that there was a 'best' one, they all got me there and that's what mattered. I still like to use my two wheeler but I don't leave the state. This past season even though I took my truck over to Kodiak instead of the two wheeler I was still sleeping in a tent and playing it close to the vest cash wise.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I use a Astro Van set up for off road, you can put a 9' rod in a rack inside no problem, place for sleeping,heat,stove,frig, tying area, even had a shower when i ran the beach alot. 4 rods inside fully assembeled. plus 8 rods on top incuding some big Alvey reels on rods. oh yeah, 4 batterys, 2 solar panels, went any where with the lift kit..
Click the image to open in full size.

I take it the rods on the roof are longer than 9'.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

My best vehicle for fishing so far is my current Frontier 4x4 p.u. truck w/ a canopy and a wide roof rack that will take two 17' canoes. It will hold all of my camping and fishing gear for extended trips with the wife or a buddy. If I'm camping/fishing by myself, I can throw a bedroll in the back and not have to pitch a tent. The 4x4 with good tires lets me get into some lakes w/unplowed roads for ice fishing. I DO carry chains "just in case". Also, I'm only 5'9" when I stand up real tall, so the small P.U. lets me reach my canoe without needing a step ladder. (us short people have limitations)

It also has a v6 engine so I can haul my little 14' boat in and out of the water on some of the steeper ramps or sometimes where there isn't a ramp.

Bob
Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I take it the rods on the roof are longer than 9'.

all over 10' on the roof. casting, and special rods..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM

kyflytyer will become famous soon enough

The best fishing vehicle I've ever owned was a 1992 longe wheel base Dodge Caravan. I removed both rows of rear seats and it was cavernous. There was enough room for a month's worth of camping supplies and enough fishing gear to make any gear-head drool. It had a V6 which provided plenty of power and got good mileage as well. The motor blew at 219,000 miles and, if I could find another one just like it, I would buy it in a minute.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:04 PM

Vans are soooooo great. I still ask my Hubby why the Silverado.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

For long distance, my motor home with a car on the trailer. I can carry a 40 ft rod put together. Better than any hotel or tent.

Close by, just the car. Audi S4. The Quatro drive is great on loose roads.......or any road. Clearance is good........as long as I'm not stupid. Gas mileage is really good. I can leave 9 ft rods strung with the pass-through trunk. Just wish it was an Avant (wagon).

My wife's van is also a good travel vehicle. Tons of room. I just hate driving it.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I am 40 and have owned 4 vehicles since I got my driver's license at 16. The best fly fishing vehicle that I have owned is my current 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon. Its all wheel drive allows me to safely drive on some dirt roads. It also has enough ground clearance for those dirt roads. There is plenty of space with the seats folded down to fit two 10 foot pontoon boats (broken down of course) plus gear. With the addition of specially made foam pads that fit on my stock roof rack, I can carry my kayak or my friend's canoe. It is smooth driving on the highways.

One of these days, I will invest in a truck or a SUV, so I can fish other places. Luckily, my girlfriend has a 4wd GMC Jimmy for that. But for now, I'm happy with my wagon.

MP
I drive a Forester. Sounds like that should be your next one. The fact that they're cheaper and get better mileage than Outbacks is nice too. Good clearance, AWD, short overhangs, avgs 27mpg, super nimble, and very smooth for such a short wheelbase. Roof rack will hold a kayak and bike for self shuttles too.

A buddy of mine pulls his Maverick HPX with his Outback and it does just fine. (helps that the boat weighs like 800#)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.