The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

While I've owned a full-size pickup, station wagon, Toyota P/U, etc, the
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I bought one year ago gets my wife and
I psyched for fishing the most. I paid $1,000, and it's in great condition. The
onboard computer says I'm getting an easy 20mpg on the highway, and 16mpg overall with an inline 4.0L 6 cylinder. The seats are faux leather vinyl, and that makes clean-up a snap. The rear seats fold down for carrying
gear, and I guess we could even use a sleeping bag back there if circumstances demanded. Handling is better than we had anticipated, and
I would say excellent. The roof rack easily holds our canoe, but we do use
plenty of tie downs, including front and rear. We've made 300 mile roundtrips,
and the seats have all sorts of adjustments (including an inflatible lumbar
support). Jeep Grand Cherokees from this model era sell for very little, and
the person I bought mine from bought it for his 3 sons to use while in college.
They took great care of the Jeep, and the father just wanted it off his driveway. If anyone was interested in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I highly recommend the 4.0L straight 6 engine. The engine compartment is nearly
empty, allowing access to everything. It's great on gas, and has plenty of
power.

*All of the rear windows are darkly tinted, and it's very difficult to see inside during the day. I feel
much better about having gear in the Jeep because of this.

We had been looking for a conversion van, but didn't have much success. My
parents owned two conversion vans for us to use while we were in school
(and to take our Old English Sheep dog to the groomer/vet), but they
had terrible gas mileage, and handled horribly in any kind of wind.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

well for long road trips i love my 98 i think it is toyota four runner its small but still have 4x4 to get me in and out of back country fishing areas...but for the rivers around my house my 2008 honda crf230f dirtbike gets the job done quite well
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Hands down nothing will beat my brother's 05 Toyota Tundra double cab. He has the camper shell package and a 4 inch foam mattress in it for sleeping. I can fit my 10 ft 6 wt in it assembled no problem as well as any gear needed and 4 fat guys. It can go anywhere with a 2.5 inch race runner coil over lift in the front and dever's springs in the back and the motor is stacked. We can go anywhere in it! Who needs a tent with this toy. I'll try and find a pic. Camping in zero degree weather is no problem either.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 PM

blakejd will become famous soon enough

My 98 4wd Tacoma with topper and futon mattress in back has treated me well for the past 8 years or so. Can't beat the fuel economy for a 4wd and well planned out equipment storage has allowed me to live out of if for extended summer trips as well as long weekends of subzero weather sking. However next year I hope to build up an AWD van based around these. http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html
troutchaser8 likes this.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:10 AM

muskyman is on a distinguished road

This is my back country rig. I have it set up for self contained travel, it has a fridge freezer, roof top tent camp kitchen and navigation system. I have it layed out for 3 people so My wife daughter and I fit in total comfort without any worries about the amount of gear I want to bring.

You can do a week long trip in it in style without thinking about it and it can get into some really cool back country places that almost never see another fisherman.

Click the image to open in full size.
flyguy97 likes this.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Muskeyman,
Sweet, very sweet!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We are so spoiled....for a week that would require 3 large ice chest and of course the 19" flat screen.

We are somewhat compact though

Old 10-30-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
We are so spoiled....for a week that would require 3 large ice chest and of course the 19" flat screen.

We are somewhat compact though

Ice chests are forever in my past!!

the fridge freezers are the ticket. Once someone gets one they see the light. No more soggy or wasted food. you can pack out fish frozen if you like. plus mine draws a whopping 2 amps so there power usage is almost nothing.

mine holds 43 quarts so all you need to do is replace beverages as you use them and pack the stuff you want coldest at the bottom and you easily have enough room for all the things you want kept cold.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Muskeyman,
Sweet, very sweet!!
thanks! It has worked really well for me.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakejd View Post
My 98 4wd Tacoma with topper and futon mattress in back has treated me well for the past 8 years or so. Can't beat the fuel economy for a 4wd and well planned out equipment storage has allowed me to live out of if for extended summer trips as well as long weekends of subzero weather sking. However next year I hope to build up an AWD van based around these. http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

And they only get 8 MPG. I have some friends on the beach and they hate the MPG's. I get 16 to 20 with mine and hope to get more after I put in a transfer case from an S-10. I was able to put in a full size bed in mine with storage under. http://Click the image to open in full size.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
And they only get 8 MPG. I have some friends on the beach and they hate the MPG's. I get 16 to 20 with mine and hope to get more after I put in a transfer case from an S-10. I was able to put in a full size bed in mine with storage under. http://Click the image to open in full size.
what kinda of transfercase does it have now?

the s10's have pretty lightweight weak runnning gear in them.

you can do alot better.