The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM

muskyman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
YIKES! That's allot of ice!
Well it goes alot farther then ice cost...you have to think about all the food you toss each time you get back from a trip, the lost space of ice in a truck that could have gear in it. And beyound anything else the convenience of being able to keep food cold and safe to eat no matter the weather.

After having a fridge in the truck you get better at bringing water and food along instead of stopping for crappy fast food, and that saves alot of money in the long run.

There is no doubt that a fridge freezer in your truck is a luxury...but then again so are $700 fly rods that weight 3oz

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
its awd, from the factory. s-10 cases bolt right in no problem, along with the front housing so you can have 2wd. These are amazing what you can do with them, theres even a club dedicated to the astro/safari's
Oh ok I could not tell what it was from the pic. The astro's are good trucks. I was under the impression that the astro's had heavier half shafts then the S10 ?

what actual model transfercase are you planning on installing? does it have a center differential then or just a 2wd and 4wd mode? I would not want to give up the center differential a AWD affords you for slick or snow covered roads but that is just me.

I hope your conversion goes well.

Thom
Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ard !

I was impressed, but thought you would sense it telepathically . Cheap
road bikes were my main form of transportation from the age of 16-23. I almost bought a used Goldwing a few years ago for long fishing trips. The guy
only wanted $1,500, and it rode like a Cadillac! I even took it through a gravel
and loose dirt area to see how it would handle, and it felt like smooth pavement. It was in front of the guy's house for months, and when I finally decided to go for it, it was sold the day before!!!!

Hey Joni,
Looks like you and Mojo are pulling a Choo-Choo train . Cool camper!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Subaru Forester- better ground clearance than most 4wd vehicles- a close second is a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee-170000 miles and still ticking
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my 1996 Jeep GC with 185,000 miles already on it a year ago. It
runs 100%, and I've just changed the oil every 3,000 miles. 196,000 on the
odometer now, and I'm hoping for 250,000. My Jeep has a metal plate to
protect the fuel tank, and a heavy metal plate to guard the tranny area.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:39 PM

blakejd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
And they only get 8 MPG. I have some friends on the beach and they hate the MPG's. I get 16 to 20 with mine and hope to get more after I put in a transfer case from an S-10. I was able to put in a full size bed in mine with storage under. http://Click the image to open in full size.
Yeah MPGs the big deal breaker for me. I have a friend with a AWD 15passenger flexfuel that is getting closer to 20 mpg and that is what I was planning to use to build up off of.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Hardyreels thats a nice KLR. I've been shopping for one for a while but people dont like to give up good machines like that for cheap. I had a BMW K100 that I abused like crazy on fly trips and still miss it every day.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crew-Max. When you lay the back seats down you can just about fit my house in it...haha. This truck has more room than any other vehicle I have ever owned. Before it I had a 2006 Tacoma, 4x4, 4 cyl. 5 speed that got 24-25 mpg. If I got kind of gas mileage out of the Tundra I would consider it the ultimate truck...unfortunately the best I get out of the Tundra is 16-18 mpg. Hope to add a camper shell and roof rack soon.
Tuck
Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I gave in and went to a Ford dealer to check out the Flex. That is my next fishing 'chine... if I ever find work again that is!
I just read that Ford passed in quality brands that are taken for granted as being better built.
Good for them and good for Ford in not taking the GovCo handout!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:17 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

If I could afford one I would buy a Toyota FJ Cruiser with a small off road tent camper setup with the frig freezer.
Muskyman- no center div. just 2wd,4hi and 4lo. I know I'll miss the awd in certain conditions but need the 4lo here in some areas. and if I go back out west for another 30 day fish across the U.S.A. again. Did one 6 years ago.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I'll post mine now.

1997 Mitsubishi Montero 4wd 4dr import offroad model w/full skid plates, offroad shocks, 6 cylinder, hvy duty battery, locking differential, selective overdrive, full spare, and recovery hooks. It had 3rd row jumpseats, but I removed those to create more cargo room. It gets 20/26 mpg.

This thing has been a serious work-horse! We bought it with 99,000 miles on it for $6,800 in 2006. It now has 218k miles on it. I've spent a whopping $3,000 on ALL repairs/major maintenance (everything but oil changes and such). So that's under $10k for 119k miles of HARD use...at least 15k of that off pavement and probably 5k of that offROAD. Most of the rest has been long-distance highway driving between fishing and hunting destinations. I've camped IN it several times, camp OUT of it most of the time, and haul my Weimaraner, camping gear, fishing/hunting gear, etc. all the time. Often times for 2 people. For a day trip fishing/hunting, it can handle 4 people and the dog comfortably.

Drawbacks: I'm 6'1" tall and it is about 3" too short to sleep in the back comfortably. So 2 nights in a row is about all I can stand. A 9' fly rod has to go angled and bent a bit from back to windshield. I don't like that. 8' rods fit fine. Side-hinged tailgate door. I'd prefer overhead door. Driver seat could be more ergonomically designed.

Major benefits: Extremely rugged and durable. Will boldly go places no other SUV I've ever been familiar with will want to go: down the sides of canyons, arroyos in the desert, up shale slides and sand dunes, over 2' shelves in bedrock. That sort of stuff. 119k mi /$10k = total cost of ownership of about $1.19/mi + gas/oil. (I almost never add oil between oil changes under 10,000') The transmission (auto) has NEVER been serviced! Fluid topped off once with 1/2 quart.

Here's a pic from last month with my buddy, Bob Stehwien, MCI, AFFI in the foreground @ Rim Shoals, Cotter, AR...

Click the image to open in full size.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 PM

jackinok will become famous soon enough

Thats easy!,any vehicle thats not your own!Mother in laws 62 cadillac made a pretty good one!.the one I like the most was an old 72 dodge full size van.Now its a 99 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd,