The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Best Fly Fishing Vehicles (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/11577-best-fly-fishing-vehicles.html)

flyguy66 10-28-2009 12:16 PM

Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

Most of us get tired of all the "What's the best _____" threads on all the fishing forums, and all the "This is the best _____" articles that some dolt wrote because he/she is kissing up to some mfg or outfitter. But here's one you don't see very often:

What is the best fly fishing vehicle you've ever owned, rented, driven, or ridden in on a trip?

Be specific! Don't say, "a minivan." And I don't want to read, "a motorcycle," either. :cool:

State your opinion and back it up with reasons and examples, please. Let's have a meaningful and informed discussion about our love affair with the wheeled machines that get us there and back. Should be pretty educational...

Kerry Pitt 10-28-2009 12:26 PM

Re: Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

A 1977 Bronco. I bought it new for around $7000. It was the last year of the old "jeep" style Bronco. It was 4x4, short wheelbase, had some space for hauling my equipment.

Barring that, a company truck that I was allowed to use for fishing and hunting, certainly the least expensive:p

Rip Tide 10-28-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy66 (Post 70855)
Be specific! Don't say, "a minivan."

It was a minivan :shades:

..... an '84 Caravan, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 28mpg
Rear seats were removed and it instead had a bunk built in with hidden storage drawers underneath. Rod rack inside on the ceiling, roof rack for the canoe.
.... the only issue.... poor ground clearance
I went everywhere in that thing, it was a great fish car

MoscaPescador 10-28-2009 12:53 PM

I am 40 and have owned 4 vehicles since I got my driver's license at 16. The best fly fishing vehicle that I have owned is my current 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon. Its all wheel drive allows me to safely drive on some dirt roads. It also has enough ground clearance for those dirt roads. There is plenty of space with the seats folded down to fit two 10 foot pontoon boats (broken down of course) plus gear. With the addition of specially made foam pads that fit on my stock roof rack, I can carry my kayak or my friend's canoe. It is smooth driving on the highways.

One of these days, I will invest in a truck or a SUV, so I can fish other places. Luckily, my girlfriend has a 4wd GMC Jimmy for that. But for now, I'm happy with my wagon.

MP

flyguy66 10-28-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 70859)
It was a minivan :shades:

..... an '84 Caravan, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 28mpg
Rear seats were removed and it instead had a bunk built in with hidden storage drawers underneath. Rod rack inside on the ceiling, roof rack for the canoe.
.... the only issue.... poor ground clearance
I went everywhere in that thing, it was a great fish car

I think an AWD minivan with more than 12" of true ground clearance would be just about perfect...mostly for the reasons you stated in terms of config.

FISHN50 10-28-2009 02:37 PM

I used to have a 77 ford PU with a camper shell cap on the back. I put carpeting in it & jamed a pullout loveseat in the back up against the cab. Instant cheap camper. It took me all over the country. When the kids started coming along I traded it in for a custom van which I never really liked. I went to a Jeep Cherokee for a few years & then a Grand Cherokee. I bought my daughter a Jeep Patriot & within a year it caught fire & burned to the ground. After the way Chrysler treated me I swore I'd never buy another Chrysler & dumped it & got an all wheel drive Ford Freestyle. I beat the heck out of it & it's still going. After the PU I think this is the best.

Jackster 10-28-2009 03:06 PM

If it wasn't so darned expensive I'm thinking the Ford Flex would be the ideal fishing machine.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/flex/
Since my Caravan roving days when everything I needed fit into it, including my sleeping self, I longed for something with good mileage, room for my gear and the ability to hold rod racks holding 9' fly rods. It looks like it might even have the lift-up tail gate for hiding under in the rain when suiting up!
This might just be the ticket!
C'mon Lotto... smile on me!

Joni 10-28-2009 03:21 PM

We had the full sized FORD van and it WAS the perfect fishing vehicle. It got at least 16 miles a gallon. I bought the rod rack that mounts to the inside roof. We could carry 6 fully assembled rods everywhere and they were out of the way.
We would fold the middle row seats forward and we could haul our deflated pontoons assembled so all we had to do was add air.
Plus I could walk to the back to get anything while moving. Well not standing up but a squat walk.
GAWD I miss that thing.

fyshstykr 10-28-2009 03:38 PM

Joni,
It's funny you mention the Ford full size van, we had seen a grey Ford f-350 4x4 van this summer on the Southfork. My wife and I looked at each other and said "that's exactly what we need!" This thing had a full size big arse roof rack to boot. we may just look that direction in a couple years. Her 4-Runner and my F-350 p/u are both within a year of being paid off and we want some time with no vehicle pmts.

As for the best vehicle we've had...well probably our 4-Runner, but it's still not that great so I won't bore ya'll with trivial stuff.

flyfisher45 10-28-2009 04:24 PM

I have a 04 Jeep Liberty sport that gets me pretty close to where I want to fish.