The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

Most of us get tired of all the "What's the best _____" threads on all the fishing forums, and all the "This is the best _____" articles that some dolt wrote because he/she is kissing up to some mfg or outfitter. But here's one you don't see very often:

What is the best fly fishing vehicle you've ever owned, rented, driven, or ridden in on a trip?

Be specific! Don't say, "a minivan." And I don't want to read, "a motorcycle," either.

State your opinion and back it up with reasons and examples, please. Let's have a meaningful and informed discussion about our love affair with the wheeled machines that get us there and back. Should be pretty educational...
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Fly Fishing Vehicles

A 1977 Bronco. I bought it new for around $7000. It was the last year of the old "jeep" style Bronco. It was 4x4, short wheelbase, had some space for hauling my equipment.

Barring that, a company truck that I was allowed to use for fishing and hunting, certainly the least expensive
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
Be specific! Don't say, "a minivan."
It was a minivan

..... an '84 Caravan, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 28mpg
Rear seats were removed and it instead had a bunk built in with hidden storage drawers underneath. Rod rack inside on the ceiling, roof rack for the canoe.
.... the only issue.... poor ground clearance
I went everywhere in that thing, it was a great fish car
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am 40 and have owned 4 vehicles since I got my driver's license at 16. The best fly fishing vehicle that I have owned is my current 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon. Its all wheel drive allows me to safely drive on some dirt roads. It also has enough ground clearance for those dirt roads. There is plenty of space with the seats folded down to fit two 10 foot pontoon boats (broken down of course) plus gear. With the addition of specially made foam pads that fit on my stock roof rack, I can carry my kayak or my friend's canoe. It is smooth driving on the highways.

One of these days, I will invest in a truck or a SUV, so I can fish other places. Luckily, my girlfriend has a 4wd GMC Jimmy for that. But for now, I'm happy with my wagon.

MP
Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It was a minivan

..... an '84 Caravan, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 28mpg
Rear seats were removed and it instead had a bunk built in with hidden storage drawers underneath. Rod rack inside on the ceiling, roof rack for the canoe.
.... the only issue.... poor ground clearance
I went everywhere in that thing, it was a great fish car
I think an AWD minivan with more than 12" of true ground clearance would be just about perfect...mostly for the reasons you stated in terms of config.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 10-28-2009, 03:37 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I used to have a 77 ford PU with a camper shell cap on the back. I put carpeting in it & jamed a pullout loveseat in the back up against the cab. Instant cheap camper. It took me all over the country. When the kids started coming along I traded it in for a custom van which I never really liked. I went to a Jeep Cherokee for a few years & then a Grand Cherokee. I bought my daughter a Jeep Patriot & within a year it caught fire & burned to the ground. After the way Chrysler treated me I swore I'd never buy another Chrysler & dumped it & got an all wheel drive Ford Freestyle. I beat the heck out of it & it's still going. After the PU I think this is the best.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If it wasn't so darned expensive I'm thinking the Ford Flex would be the ideal fishing machine.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/flex/
Since my Caravan roving days when everything I needed fit into it, including my sleeping self, I longed for something with good mileage, room for my gear and the ability to hold rod racks holding 9' fly rods. It looks like it might even have the lift-up tail gate for hiding under in the rain when suiting up!
This might just be the ticket!
C'mon Lotto... smile on me!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We had the full sized FORD van and it WAS the perfect fishing vehicle. It got at least 16 miles a gallon. I bought the rod rack that mounts to the inside roof. We could carry 6 fully assembled rods everywhere and they were out of the way.
We would fold the middle row seats forward and we could haul our deflated pontoons assembled so all we had to do was add air.
Plus I could walk to the back to get anything while moving. Well not standing up but a squat walk.
GAWD I miss that thing.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Joni,
It's funny you mention the Ford full size van, we had seen a grey Ford f-350 4x4 van this summer on the Southfork. My wife and I looked at each other and said "that's exactly what we need!" This thing had a full size big arse roof rack to boot. we may just look that direction in a couple years. Her 4-Runner and my F-350 p/u are both within a year of being paid off and we want some time with no vehicle pmts.

As for the best vehicle we've had...well probably our 4-Runner, but it's still not that great so I won't bore ya'll with trivial stuff.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 10-28-2009, 05:24 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I have a 04 Jeep Liberty sport that gets me pretty close to where I want to fish.