The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default What's best for catch & release, gripper or net

I am looking at a new net or gripper for salmon and trout.

I have used nets in the past but a gripper looks intreging.

Does anyone have any comments on grippers. If so, which brand is best and which should I avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Trout Bum
Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: What's best for catch & release, gripper or net

Hi grgerman,

I am not clear on what you are calling a gripper. There are things that go over your hand to help hold the fish. Is this the style you are asking about? Then there are gloves, taillers, Lippa and Boca styles. You can see I need a little more information.

Frank
Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking trout, I personally believe that it's best if they're never touched or leave the water
A Ketchem Release is a good tool for this
I'm not normally into gadgets, but years ago I received one as a gift and it works as advertised. You can release the fish without touching it and the tool does not wreak flies like hemostats do.

Click the image to open in full size.

For big fish with big teeth , I use a Fish Grip. They're light weight, float, and are lot cheaper than a Boca

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:A Ketchem Release is a good tool for this
I'm not normally into gadgets, but years ago I received one as a gift and it works as advertised. You can release the fish without touching it and the tool does not wreak flies like hemostats do.
Totally agree with RT...a very good and easy to use tool
Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rip Tide hit the nail on the head. Trout never need to see a gripper of any sort. Salmon are handled best by getting back from shore and dragging them onto the shore.

If you are going to release them then make it quick, get the hook out and send them on their way.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've got to take some exception here, but it's probably because I'm not the quality of fly-fisherman that are commenting on this thread (& I mean that sincerely). I use both an (extendable) collapsible clear PVC net along with a Lippa-for-Life "gripper" and a Rising Crocodile. I do this because, at my level of ineptitude, I find this is the best way to get large trout back in the water with minimal handling.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Neil,

Don't get me wrong on that buddy, whatever works for you is cool with me. I just kinda got simple as time went on. Simple about fish that is...................

I do own nets and I tend to use them when I fish a little creek where the fish are usually small and hard to handle. I scoop them and while they are safe in the drink I slip the hook.

How you been?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi grgerman,

I am not clear on what you are calling a gripper. There are things that go over your hand to help hold the fish. Is this the style you are asking about? Then there are gloves, taillers, Lippa and Boca styles. You can see I need a little more information.

Frank
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of town for a few days.

By gripper I was refering to a tool like the Boga Grip.

Thnanks,

Trout Bum
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey Neil,

Don't get me wrong on that buddy, whatever works for you is cool with me. I just kinda got simple as time went on. Simple about fish that is...................

I do own nets and I tend to use them when I fish a little creek where the fish are usually small and hard to handle. I scoop them and while they are safe in the drink I slip the hook.

How you been?
Hey, Ard, I'm doing fine . . . thanks for asking.

Like I said, I'm not up to the speed of the many expert fly-fishermen - like you especially - on this excellent Forum. Frankly, my best fishing results were with hand grenades in Nam, but that doesn't work too well stateside

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 11-19-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If by gripper you mean the thing you stick your hend in and clamp down on the fih's skin with this 'toothy' plastic contraption I say no. I just use my semi abused fingers. I am on the net side, more of a fan of the rubber net than the cloth twine type nets. Nylon mesh is not to bad either. Twine type net splits fins pretty bad. If it does not remove slime, split fins, clamp on the body, or otherwise harm fish go with it. I still like just the hand land style.