The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Rio Indicator Line

Has anyone had a chance to try the Rio Indicator Line? I am intrigued by this line for some reason. Sounds like a good idea to me. With most of the fishing I do here in Texas, I watch the end of my fly line as much as anything to detect a strike (talking about warm water here) and this line sounds like it might be just the ticket. Just hoping to get some feedback before splurging for one.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio Indicator Line

I got a sample from the regional Rio rep over a month ago. I have about three days fishing it. I thought that the Rio Nymph line was good. This is better. It really turns over the extra junk like indo-bobbers, weight, and multiple nymphs better than the Rio Nymph line. Where I would chuck and duck using longer leaders, I could roll them out more efficiently (of course there still is a limit to that). With non chuck and duck nymph rigs, this line rolls out effortlessly.

Keep in mind that this is not a presentation line. The shorter front taper has more of a splash than a true presentation line. If you are throwing heavy nymphs or streamers that splash, this line could work for you.

MP
Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like a great warmwater line indeed, with power for turning over poppers and other larger bass flies. Here in TX we'll frequently fish rivers with a 5wt to make the sunfish more fun, but its nice to have a fly line capable of turning over bigger flies when you walk up on a bassy looking spot.

I like lines with extra power because you can always lengthen your leader for more delicate presentation. If you have to go too short because the fly line is wimping out, you're putting the fly line too close to the fly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have had no dealings with that line, but I have Rio lines on two of my rods, and will have Rio on ALL my rods soon, every line I have of theirs is great. From the trout to the Gold.
Bear