The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough
Default Thats Crazy!! And you??

This should be a good one. Whats your craziest story about a trip or outing?

Like one day me and my friend walked upstream in flip flop for a good 600 yards. Hours later with no luck, we came back, cold and sad. We came to a bridge we'd passed up and, much to our delight, found a great mass of blue gill and brown trout. I caught three moderate sized fish that day, my friend caught none. That was a great day trip.

All that walking was worth it.

So how about you?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default This really happened to me; Sorta Crazy

This is true;

One day while fishing Spring Creek in Pa. I had a pretty good morning. All of the fish I caught were of good size. My fishing partner of about 20 years at that time had caught nothing. I offered him a fly of my design 'The Answer' but he declined. So the morning became noon and still no luck for my friend. He was fishing a Hornberg wet about 30 yards up stream of me and managed to get a back cast snagged in a big old Sycamore tree about nine feet up on a branch.

I could see that he was nearing the breaking point of both line and spirit and was looking and sounding pretty aggravated. So I rushed up to him calling out for him not to break off his fly and that I would help get it. You see I'm 6' 5" tall and have an 8'6" reach without jumping so it seemed appropriate for me to intervene.

I tossed my fly into the water close to shore and flipped a loop of line into the creek then laid my rod down in the tall grass and reeds and waked back to where he was under the tree. As he gingerly pulled down on the branch with his 8 lb. leader I was jumping and trying to grab the limb. After a few tries I heard some thing and when I looked over to shore where the noise was coming from I saw that the noise was my CFO reel and that my rod was being dragged through the stream-side weeds towards the water.

I turned my back on the fly retrieval mission and with a loud exclamation ran for the rod. Just at waters edge I snatched it up and hauled back with no idea of what was happening. Remember this is fly fishing not live bait, no fish just grabs a fly laying on the bottom right? I swung the rod overhead and as the line tightened up one of the biggest brown trout we had seen in years hit the surface like a rainbow. After a fast but furious battle full of jumping and corkscrewing rolls the fish came loose. I yelled in dismay Oh My God It's Gone, or some thing equivalent and began to whine about my foul luck having lost this fish.

THAT DOES IT ! My buddy exclaimed as he snapped his leader, I'm Done!

I tried over lunch and over the hour and a half drive home to console him and make excuses for what had happened but nothing seemed to work. "How the hell is it" he ask; that while I fish my butt off all day and catch nothing, it isn't bad enough I have to watch you hauling them in all morning but you hook a thirty inch fish while you are not even FISHING!? I guess I was having a better than usual day.

The fellow I was with is a member of this forum and this is the fly the fish tried to steal;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thats Crazy!! And you??

Ard,

That's a good one!

I though you were heading for an ending that happened to me about two years back on one of the heavily overhung freestone creeks up here in the Poconos. Here it is.

Like you, I was with a fishing buddy and also like you, I was having a pretty good day and he wasn't hooking up at all; although he was casting to the right spots and he'd been fishing that same water for many years. Since he wasn't catching and I was, he was positioned upstream of me as we continued to move in that direction, was getting a little down due to no fish, and he also hooked a pine or rhody on one of his backcasts. He'd been fishing, exclusively, his "swear-by " fly, a small Henryville Special, which is an over-dressed, but very popular fly up here on any water that's on or close to Broadhead Creek. I'd suggested changing flies earlier in the day; several times in fact, but each time I mentioned it, I got a progressively stronger hand pushed my way, a head shake and a quick cast to a new spot with his tied and true HS.

He was not really interested in walking even a few steps downstream to try to free the fly and was just standing there, body turned downstream, yanking on the line; sooner or later, he was just going to snap the tippet; we were fishing light gear; 3 wts. with 5X.

So, I put down my rod and walked upstream motioning to him that I'd free his fly; he didn't seem to object to that (at least he was going to get some free service to help compensate him for his lack of fish). When I got there, I reached up (you've got an inch on me) pulled down the branch, snapped off his fly and quickly tied on a soft hackle that I'd been using with good success all morning (Stewart's Black Spider).

While I was tying on the new fly, I made it appear like I was pretty frustrated with the whole rescue of his fly, then I motioned to him that it was clear, shook my head and told him to cast out again.

He did - and he got a strike on the first cast!, and landed a pretty little rainbow that put up a reasonable fight for a small fish. When he landed the fish, netted it and went to remove the fly, he paused (realizing now what I'd done), demonstrated that his middle finger was still properly positioned on his hand and then put down his rod, smiled and gave me deep, comical bow!

I never got the fly back from him.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: This really happened to me; Sorta Crazy

Ard,
It must have been "the presentation"... Man, you are good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This is true;

One day while fishing Spring Creek in Pa. I had a pretty good morning. All of the fish I caught were of good size. My fishing partner of about 20 years at that time had caught nothing. I offered him a fly of my design 'The Answer' but he declined. So the morning became noon and still no luck for my friend. He was fishing a Hornberg wet about 30 yards up stream of me and managed to get a back cast snagged in a big old Sycamore tree about nine feet up on a branch.

I could see that he was nearing the breaking point of both line and spirit and was looking and sounding pretty aggravated. So I rushed up to him calling out for him not to break off his fly and that I would help get it. You see I'm 6' 5" tall and have an 8'6" reach without jumping so it seemed appropriate for me to intervene.

I tossed my fly into the water close to shore and flipped a loop of line into the creek then laid my rod down in the tall grass and reeds and waked back to where he was under the tree. As he gingerly pulled down on the branch with his 8 lb. leader I was jumping and trying to grab the limb. After a few tries I heard some thing and when I looked over to shore where the noise was coming from I saw that the noise was my CFO reel and that my rod was being dragged through the stream-side weeds towards the water.

I turned my back on the fly retrieval mission and with a loud exclamation ran for the rod. Just at waters edge I snatched it up and hauled back with no idea of what was happening. Remember this is fly fishing not live bait, no fish just grabs a fly laying on the bottom right? I swung the rod overhead and as the line tightened up one of the biggest brown trout we had seen in years hit the surface like a rainbow. After a fast but furious battle full of jumping and corkscrewing rolls the fish came loose. I yelled in dismay Oh My God It's Gone, or some thing equivalent and began to whine about my foul luck having lost this fish.

THAT DOES IT ! My buddy exclaimed as he snapped his leader, I'm Done!

I tried over lunch and over the hour and a half drive home to console him and make excuses for what had happened but nothing seemed to work. "How the hell is it" he ask; that while I fish my butt off all day and catch nothing, it isn't bad enough I have to watch you hauling them in all morning but you hook a thirty inch fish while you are not even FISHING!? I guess I was having a better than usual day.

The fellow I was with is a member of this forum and this is the fly the fish tried to steal;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]